Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Reverse Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by altst012, Dec 24, 2013.

1. altst012

altst012 New Member

I live in Minnesota where it has been very cold lately, and my truck has had issues when I put it into reverse. I will let the truck warm up for a few minutes, but when I put it into reverse it does not start moving. I will have to rev the engine to around 2000 RPM's before it will go. I have had the truck for a couple years and it has never done this before. It is an 04 Silverado Z71 with 160K miles. It does this even on days when it isn't super cold (above zero). Any ideas? I was thinking of just changing the transmission fluid to start with.

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

since this is a 2004 your transmission most likely has dexron III in it. I would have the fluid drained new filter and the now approved GM dexron VI. this is now the approved fluid for your vehicle. this will cost much more than dexron III which is now not an approved fluid .

with extremely cold temps my 2000 shifted much faster with the mobil synthetic tranny fluid back in 2001 when I removed the dexron III.

2006 GM REMOVED DEXRON III FROM THE APPROVED FLUIDS LIST / TURNS INTO ACID WHEN IT GETS HOT .

you may luck out . low pressures are you issue .with the new fluid it will make more pressure at the low temps.