1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

reverse light circuit

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by agerangere5, Apr 11, 2010.

1. agerangere5

agerangere5 New Member

hey all. i have a 2009 crew cab ls 1500 and was wanting to put some lights on the hitch along with a back up camera. mu question is do you think i would be putting to much of a load on the reverse circuit if i tap into the reverse lights to get power for the camera and 2 55w driving lights. or should i just put the lights on there own circuit. thanks for the help in advance!
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

When I wired my backup camera in, I found that my trailer wiring pigtail had a reverse light circuit built into it. Since none of my trailers have back up lights, I just wired into that.
  3. anven

anven New Member

Hi,

I would check what the rating on the fuse is for backup trailer lights. I agree with previous post - backup camera getting power from the trailer harness is the best way to go. 110W worth of lights I am not sure about... 10 Amp... So if its on a 15 or more amp fuse, you should be OK...
  4. agerangere5

agerangere5 New Member

thanks guys. i decided to just wire the lights to their own switch. this way i can turn them on when i want to. thanks for the advice though
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Best way to do it. The NBSU switch is really only designed for the stock bulbs. If you want extra lights to come on when you go to reverse, use a relay and the hot lead in the trailer harness.