1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Review of my 09 Colorado 4WD Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by retired, Nov 23, 2008.

1. retired

retired New Member 100 Posts

Well my first impression of my 09 Colorado, it's a hell of a lot better than the 07 Nitro I traded in. The truck handles well, suspension is nice and tight, performance is relatively good for a 3.7 I5. Now for the down side, Radio does not sound that good but it will due for now. Looking out the rear view window is less than desirable with the rear seat head rest in the way. So I've had this truck for about 2 weeks and put 300 miles on it so it's time to start seeing what makes this thing tick. I opened the hood to see what I can modify and and where GM cheeped out building these trucks. Didn't look to bad, but I did find that the clamps that hold the air intake tube on were loose. No big deal just tighten them up. I think the truck will defiantly benefit from a cold air intake system. Then I moved onto the under carriage. I figured while I'm under here I'd might as well give the torsion bars a crank up and to my surprise I was only able to make one full turn on the bolt WTF. I'm gonna have to investigate why there is only one turn left on those bolts. Under carriage all in all looks pretty good could use a couple of skip plates. But I am veryy happy with it.
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks for the update. I still would like to be able to go that direction on my next one. I still don't see why the 5.3L isn't rated any higher on mpg. It probably would be with different gears. How is your mileage, so far?
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds alright. If you tow anything make sure there is power to the rear plug. If not shoot me a message and I'll walk you through the connection procedure.
  4. retired

It's getting about 15mpg all city driving.
  5. retired

Of course there was no trailer wiring harness tucked up under the bed when I put the hitch on, but no big deal Pep Boys had a harness for 23 bucks.
  6. common dude

common dude New Member

nice review. i just sold my 07 canyon for a silverado. im really suprised as well that you were only able to get 1 turn out of the tb's, i think people can usually get around 3. you said you were wanting a cai. im not sure if you have a specific one in mind, aem system can me made to work with the 3.7 through the use of a maf adapter plate that my friend has built. people have seemed to be really happy with that system.