1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

revived my anti-sway bar

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by reggiecab2000, Jun 6, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

did this project two weeks back when I was home in san antonio...

what i did:

1) removed stock sway bar

IMG_2806 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2807 (480x640).jpg

2) sandblasted it to removed all rust

IMG_2808 (640x480).jpg
    3) repainted it with rustoleum flat black paint

IMG_2811 (640x480).jpg

4) reinstalled with energy suspension greasable polyurethane bushings

IMG_2813 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2815 (640x480).jpg

I enjoyed this project :)
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

Good job:great:
  3. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

Hi ,reggiecab2000
    I am agree with you,it is easy for handling.some more information about-Anti sway bar which reduces body roll for easier handling.Increases traction and control by distributing truck weight more evenly to both sides
    Ensures proper fit and correct ground clearance on lowered trucks. Constructed of hot-formed T4140 chrome-moly spring steel. Kit includes all hardware and polyurethane bushings for easy bolt-on installation.Anti-sway bars use the weight of the RV to create stability. You install the bars to the vehicle's frame and chassis. Anti-sway bars designed for a trailer's hitch and tongue also work similarly. They help reduce the vehicle's side-to-side motion by bracing the weight of the vehicle's axle against the chassis. The anti-sway bars distribute the recreational vehicle's weight evenly. The bar on each side effectively holds the vehicle when a gust of wind hits it.
  4. 09mgray

09mgray New Member

Looks Great!
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

:great: Good job.. Did you want to upgrade the bar also? A bigger bar does make a big difference.. When you reinstalled it did you keep the bar level with the axel?
  6. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts

Good job man, looks a lot better. :great:
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

I had asked a question about upgrading the bar a few months ago on here vs replacing bushings.... the conclusion I came to was that it wasnt worth the extra money to replace the entire front anti-sway bar vs adding poly bushings which i heard our trucks respond well to, and the difference in thickness between my factory bar and the hellwig is only 0.02". But while I was doing this project and took my truck out for a test drive, i decided to do some slaloming in the middle of the road at about 40 mph, with no sway bar, then i did it again with the bar and poly bushings, and in all honesty I couldnt tell a difference..... Ive considered doing a rear sway bar from hellwig, but still ponder if it really make THAT much of a difference off roading, which really only seems to consist of beach driving for me lately...
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

you don't have a rear now? Get one You will like it..
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

correct, I do not have a rear one. I hear people say theyre awesome, then I hear they limit so much suspension flex, etc... But i do not do rock crawling and I dont think my truck has ever been in a situation where i needed extreme suspension flex.... I do the occasional mudding with my truck, by occassional I mean it varies... Could happen 2 times a month or once every few months, but nothing "extreme", everything else is just messing around in the beach sand, Like the occasional late night bonfire and some donuts in the sand afterwards.... But I have always valued anyones opinion who has one, and wonder the pros and cons, if your offering your experience??? :)