1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ride and Shocks Question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Slim-pickins, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins Member

I have a 2008 GMX 4x4. I am at about 65k miles and I had my 5.5" RC lift and installed at 30k miles and I run 35x12.5x18 Pro-Comp Xtreme AT's. My ride had always suffered and I am chopping the tires something fierce(fronts only) even though I have had multiple alignments and wheel balancing. I have a pretty aggressive rear end hop at 44-48MPH as well as some styeering wheel shake at various speeds. The last time I had a balance done the guys said I may need to replace my front shocks because they are the original Ranchos and my kit only replaced the rears with RC heavy duty shock and this should fix the steering wheel shake at tire chopping. I am going to need tires here soon and I want to fix the ride as well so the next set of tires last longer and the ride is smoothed out a bit. I understand you lose some of the ride integrity with a lift but I want to get rid of the hop and make sure the tire wear is better and much more even. I plan on going to a slightly less agressive tire as well. Does this sound like a shock issue and if so what do you guys suggest? At the money I have in the truck I want to get it right...please help
  2. LSU truckman

LSU truckman Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm no "Expert" or anything like that but if you are combining a 5" suspension lift with a front 2" leveling kit (not sure if your spec info means 2" front or rear leveling), your suspension geometry will not be right even with front end realignment.
  3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think it is the Kit that is the major issue. The 2" level on top of the lift can't be helping with the ride or the tires.
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I agree with the others...I have never heard that a leveling kit can be used in conjunction with a suspension lift.
  5. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins Member

So if I take out the leveling kit can I get the Bilstein 5100's to take it back up an inch or so? The probelm is that he shop that did my original lift had me get the 5.5" lift and 35's was wrong I have a slight rub without the leveling kit.
  6. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you are set on running 35's when you get new rubber I would say look into a 1.5" BL and just not run a level kit. The BL will not hurt the rid or any of your angles. If you would want to run a slightly smaller tire Just run the lift kit.
  7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I agree here,look into a body lift plus your lift kit and forget about the leveling shocks or kit
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Have you ever had the tires checked to see if the true (round), ProComps are known for being out-of-round.
  9. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins Member

No I have not and I was wondering if that is what is causing the wheel hop. I did both stages of the lift seperate and I have always had wheel hop at 44-48MPH
    I figured this was something they would tell me while balancing the tires, is that not the way it works?
  10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Its up to the person mounting the tires to check if the tires are true. It depends some installer don't care, maybe they found the tire bad and didn't have another one or didn't want to deal with returning the bad tire. You have good shops that care and bad shops that just want the money. How much weight did they have to use to balance the tire?