1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ride quality issues

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Averitt, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Averitt

Averitt Member

I recently purchased an '05 Silverado short bed extended cab 4x4. The ride was lousy, she wallered all over the road, all four tires appeared to bounce at every bump or bridge joint. Only 86k miles but the tires shown wear associated with alot of gravel road driving. So I installed Monroe Reflex's, not I feel every bump and she rides like a 1 ton. My question is should I allow these new shocks to " break in"? If so can I speed up the process? Is it possible my torshion bars are too tight? I'm never off road and only haul family and groceries, should I have went with sensa-tracs? Or am I just a whiner?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Shocks don't need to broke-in. I've heard those Monroes are stiff. As far as the wallering all over the road that sounds like front end parts worn. If there the original pittman arm and idler arm I'm sure there wornout. GM pittman arms and idler arms don't last. Alot of people make mistakes by thinking heavy duty shocks are better, well on a work truck, but not a street driven family truck. I know this sounds crazy but sometimes the low end shocks ride the best for the street.
  3. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I went with the rancho rs9000xl adjustable shocks and they are very nice...I can now make my truck ride hard or soft and anywhere in between with the turn of a dial.The only downside is they are about 80$ a shock.
  4. GMGUY

GMGUY Member

Sometimes all it takes is a wheel alignment to improve vehicle wander and handling, as long as the front end is in good shape. Torsion bars may have been fiddled with but as long as there are a few threads showing on the adjuster bolts you should be ok. I agree, the shocks do not require break in. I have these shocks on my 1/2 ton stepside regular cab, they work well when i'm towing but my kidneys get a work out when she's empty. A better choice may have been the sensitracs.
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Also a LOT of your ride in a truck comes from your tires... A good set of tires can make all the difference! Ive seen this thanks to MN roads.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Did the truck ride stiff before the new shocks or after the new shocks?
  7. Averitt

Averitt Member

That's what I meant by wallered all over the road, I would hit a bridge joint at 70mph and it would twist and rock and roll for 100 feet, very spongy ride. Now it is as stiff as a 1 ton. I'm thinking about calling Monroe and talking to a tech and see if I should go with a weaker shock, I'm positive O'Reily will exchange them.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  8. murdog94

Ok well new shocks was a good idea, however what brand type of tire are you running since a stiff sidewall Over pressurized tire can cause trouble as well as the shocks being to stiff. Im by no means saying get new tires just trying to let you know it is something to consider as well.
  9. Averitt

Averitt Member

I might just be over reacting, the tires are P265/70/17 Wranger ATS and they are almost to the thread bars, 40 psi. It is a firm ride, but my '96 WT1500 4x2 rode better. ​
  10. murdog94

The 40PSI has some to do with it, try bringing them back to 35PSI, also the Wranglers really were never a good riding tire.. And as mentioned the Monroes are hard riding shocks.