1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rim size/offset

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by lordfrosty, Feb 28, 2009.

1. lordfrosty

lordfrosty New Member

Can someone please explain to me how you figure out rim size and about offsets negative/positve. I've got a 07 Sierra 1/2 ton with 275/55 20. So If I wanted to put 285/55 20 tires on what size rim would that be? And if i wanted my wheels to stick out a bit, how would I do that.
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the 285/55/20 is less than 1/2 inch taller than your current tire and only 3/8 of an inch wider, if you have factory rims the offset is positive 31mm so if you go to a rim with say 20 mm positive offset the tire would stick out around maybe 1/2 inch more at most, which doesn't seem like very much but visually it will make a big difference, hope this helps.

check this post out, it's pretty good:

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19213
  3. lordfrosty

lordfrosty New Member

So, if I want to make my tires stick out more without changing my rims, how would I accomplish this.
  4. DrewsZ71

DrewsZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Here, try this website http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_spec...=55&bd2=20&rd2=20&rw2=8.5&et2=19&text1=&text2=

It lets you play around with different tire sizes and offsets and gives a pretty descriptive detail about what will and will not fit. The current setting on the page are from my truck but you can play around with them and get a good idea of what kind of clearances and measurements are going to look like.
  5. lordfrosty

lordfrosty New Member

Thanks, thats a helpful website. So, the greater the offset the more the tire will stick out (is that correct). Is there something i can do to make my tires/rims stick out more without changing them.
  6. DrewsZ71

DrewsZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

The more the negative offset the more the tire/whell will stick out. Also, take this into account that the more the wheel/tire moves outward the closer it will bring it to hitting or rubbing on the fenders when the wheels are turned left or right.
  7. Chevy Newby

Chevy Newby Rockstar

offset

I am having the same problem with my truck. I want to change my wheels but the wheels I want have a negative 25 offset which means they will stick out about 3 1/4", so I would need to do a body lift of maybe 3"s. But the greater the NEGATIVE offset of the wheel the further it will stick out, I do know that much. But maybe you can get away with adding spacers to your existing wheels and the wheel push them out a little bit and give you that aggresive truck look we are lookin for. Drew and Adam are 110% righyt in their statements...I love this site.:sign0020::party:
  8. 94short&wide

94short&wide New Member

help i dont know what iam doing

my friend has a 55 chevy he is selling the rims will they fit my 94 gm 1500