1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rim, tires, and lift questions.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Silverado 2001, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Silverado 2001

Silverado 2001 New Member

Ok I have searched the web and multiple forums and have not found exactly what I am looking for. So I will start off by saying sorry of I missed it. Now for my question. I have a 2001 silverado standard cab step side. Z71 package. It had the 16 x 7 rims. I am going to be getting a 4" lift. From trail master when I get my taxes in. Im not sure if I will be able to get new rims as well yet. But I need new tires. I will most likely get the Bfg mt. Km2. Will a 305/75/r16 fit on my rim. I'm not worried about fender rubbing because of the 4" lift. I'm more worried about the width of the tire 12.1" vs the 7" rim. I have very little knowledge of rims. But that seems a little stretched for that tire. As well with that tire will I expect rubbing on the brake system or control arm? I think standard back spacing is 5" or 5.5". I don't know if that matters or not. I would prefer the 305/75/16. But they make a 285/75/16. But I don't feel that will be tall enough for my likings. But those are only 11.2" wide. Any input would be awesome. Thank you guys. This will be my first lift. So if you have any advice on the lift I chose or different lifts to consider in the 1,000 or less range I will take that to. I found the trail master in 4" for 1200. So around that. Thanks guys.
  2. grampy

grampy New Member 100 Posts

Won't try to advise you about this, but share a little experience. I have 305/70/16's on 7" rims on my "sandbox toy" - a much altered Willy's pickup. They were mounted by a tire man with years of experience, he said that a 7" rim was the absolute minimum width for that tire. He said I shouldn't have any trouble, but we both knew the little truck would'nt be carrying any load. They work well for what I do & I have "aired down" below 10psi many time when off road, never had any rim damage or broke the bead loose on one (YET!). You might do some measuring, the 285's look pretty tall. Good luck , Ken
  3. Silverado 2001

Ok. Well right now I don't tow. And I havnt been riding in a while. The 305's are taller I though? They are same as a 34x12 I thought? And the 285's I thought were 33 x 11.2? I could be mistaken I am new to taking metric to inches. So I could be wrong
  4. grampy

Do some measuring, my 305's actually only measure 33, thats using the inflated circumfrence divided by pi. I measured some 265/75/16's on my other truck, they are only a couple tenth's shy of 32 ! Wish I had some 285's to measure.
  5. Silverado 2001

I'll have to measure to be sure. Thanks. I think 33's would be the biggest I should go with a 4" anyway. So I think i may measure the 285's. And hope they are 33" haha. Thank you for the help.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Tire manufacturers have specs for what the minimum and maximum wheel width is for a given size tire. If it's not on the manufacturer's web site then contact the manufacturer and ask. That's the only way to be sure you're within spec is to find out what the spec is.

Tire men with years of experience cannot remember all such specs. To put it into perspective the minimum width wheel for my tires (see below) is 8" ... as obtained from the manufacturer's web site. I had a tire man tell me I could fit 325/70R17's Nitto Trail Grapplers on an 8" wheel and be in spec. The manufacturer's web site said otherwise ... and I order the size that was actually in spec rather than listening to a guy who I know can't possibly remember all specs for all tires from all manufacturers.
  7. Silverado 2001

Ok thanks for the new info. How do you like your fabtech lift? And when you got it was it a complete kit or did you buy a combo of boxes? I looked at them but was always confused with their packages. It would say something like combo box #1351 and be 700-1000 and look like a complete kit but it would say used with another combo box or other suspension parts. Maybe I missed something? Which lift did you get from them?
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like the lift. It was put on the truck by the previous owner, so I bought it this way ... so I can't answer specifics about the what/how.
  9. grampy

rim width

Yes, you are right, should have checked it myself. But it was a man I trusted and a reputable dealer too ! Oh well - those tires and wheels have made a lot of off road trips and even some farm and ranch work with no problem. In fact, they are so old now, they need replaced even though the tread is still 60% or more. My Willys doesn't see much highway anyway, gets hauled to most events, even a 50 miles drive in it can wear me down. Just to keep it Chevy related, it has a Chev. engine, trans and transfer case. Ken
  10. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member 100 Posts

You do realize that "305" is the width right? The small number, or aspect ratio indicates the height of the tire in conjunction with the wheel diameter,