1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ring and pinion gears

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Mr. Chevy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Mr. Chevy

Mr. Chevy New Member

What ring and pinion gears go well with 37" tires on a 2001 silverado 1500?
  2. sierraman

sierraman Rockstar 100 Posts

i would go with 4:56
  3. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What engine do you have? If its a v8 I'd recommend for 4.56 for a v6 maybe 4.88.
  4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i would say 4:56 or 4:88 if not too much freway driving as most charts show the 4:56 is a great 35" tire gear...mike
  6. cao88c

cao88c Rockstar

Need more info, What engine, Manual or Auto, Aluminum or steel wheels. That chart does not allow for weight of vehicle or wheels. To play it safe, I'd go with 4.88 (assuming that its an auto tranny).

Just did my brother's jeep this past weekend he put 35" tires, and we geared it to 4.88.

My 2003 Jeep 4.0 I6 5 spd is geard with 4.56 running on 33's and its my DD
    My 1976 Jeep CJ5 is on 38's and geard with 5.13's -- it's only used as a trail rig

****VERY IMPORTANT****
    IF IT IS A 4x4 YOU MUST GEAR THE FRONT AXELTHE SAME AS THE REAR

If not, bye bye Transfer Case

PS: When you buy the gars, do yourself a favor, and spend the extra $$ on Yukon Gears -- they are a lot better thatn Genuine Gear, Alloy USA, or Superior Axel and Gear. Trust me, I have broken just about every ring gear out there and the yukons do not break
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008