1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

ring and pinion, have the looks changed?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dpeter, Apr 30, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I had the rear axles out of my 2000 Yukon 1500and was disturbed by the looks of the gears. Both drive and coast sides of ring gear had dull finish over the entire face. There was NO discernable wear pattern and the surface was very smooth to the touch and no groves or any such thing. I expected to see a highly polished surface as i have in the past (15-20 years ago) and I am somewhat concerned about this so my question(s) is/are is this normal and if so what has changed. Oh and I have 120,000 miles on truck, no gear noise and have owned it only two years so can not say for sure if it is original or repaired/replaced. Also not able to get a good look at the pinion gear but appears the same.

2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't know about you, but my truck is a 2002, and when i changed my gears, i did notice a polished area from the gears contacting. I have heard of people getting their gears treated, but i don't know anything about that.

3. dpeter

That is what I expected too. Rear diff. cover had been removed at least once before I got to it and I had some evidence of some of what looked like a yellow marker paste on some places inside but none on th gear set. Not sure what to make of it. I had posted about some axle damage in another thread along with some shoddy/questionable brake work done by previous owner or shop. Maybe points to a vehicle used WAY over its rated capacity for WAY to long?

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I see you list that it has a G80 locker in it. Perhaps the locker blew up and required parts to be changed.

5. dpeter

Crawdaddy, locker working as advertised and was able to get it to engage by turning one axle quickly. Watched it happen while differential cover was off, pretty slick mechanism and no parts or peices laying in the housing.

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That's what I'm saying. Sure it's working now, but has it blown up in the past requiring a rebuild and possibly changing out the gearset because it ate teeth? Not likely, but I'm just trying to theorize why there would be little to no wear visible.

7. dpeter

I can't speak to possible repairs made before my ownership and the carfax indicated no repairs made or salvage title or anything that would lead me to think it had a torrid past. I purchased it in 2010 with 63,000 miles and it LOOKED like a garage queen. It still looks and drives near perfect and it is my favorite car/truck to date except maybe my 1970 Dodge RT/SE Challenger but that was a different time and life moves on. I suppose it could be a repair that was not documented and it may be perfectly OK. No noise and it works, it's just not what I expected to see in a truck I thought was untouched. If it walks like a duck and quaks like a duck it must be a duck so I am going to go with replacement gearset that previous owner or dealer performed and did not disclose to the new buyer (me).