Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

RIP GM Products for 2012

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, Nov 2, 2011.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

.....R.I.P. to GM cars in 2012

Buick Lucerne

From its launch in 2006, the Lucerne harkened to the days when droves of buyers sought out that freeway-cushioning ride of a stately General Motors sedan driven by a Buick V-6 with its roots in the 1960s. The Lucerne was a successful bridge from the old Buick to the somewhat less old Buick of today. Still, it retires long after most of its owners.

Cadillac DTS/Cadillac STS

The DTS is long due for a departure; its mostly seen as a limo/hearse alternative to the Lincoln Town Car. Both it and the STS will give way to a new top-of-the-line Cadillac XTS, due early next year, with GM expected to produce an even more expensive uber-Caddy soon after to tackle the Audi A8, BMW 750Li and Lexus LS460L rather than hauling high schoolers to the prom.

Chevrolet HHR

Once upon a time Chrysler took a boring small car (the Neon), grafted a body that recalled 1930s-era roadsters on top of it and created the PT Cruiser. Seeing Chrysler's initial success, GM copied Chrysler's play step by step — hiring the PT Cruiser's designer to draw a body meant to evoke the 1930s-era Suburbans and using the chassis of the compact Cobalt sedan. Imitation may be flattery at its most sincere, but GM didn't copy Chrysler's sales; the HHR was big and cheap but thirsty, and like the PT never received enough updates to stay current — although the supercharged SS version ranks as one of the best modern sleepers available.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think the HHR is interesting, I have not followed the sales but there was a solid following and it does look like a lot of fleets were using that type of vehicle -- including some DFW area beverage companies that stopped deliveries with the big trucks like 1x or 2x per week and do smaller trips 3x or 4x per week in the smaller vehicles.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I owned an HHR and will own one again! they are great cars, and when equipped properly actually gave great milage. i had the 2.2L and on the highway it returned 30-33mpg on highway trips. In town it was around 24! i will never understand the magazines that supposedly do a road test and all they do is flat to the floor testing making the drivers think that the cars thirsty. I am young and do not drive slow and my cars beat EPA estimates on most trips. It also was great at hauling things (in lineu of a truck) and on long trips there was plenty of room for my wife and myself (6ft2) to stretch out!
    I guess another HHR will be in my Garage asap since finding a low milage one will soon be very hard to do.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've been thinking about picking-up a HHR Panel, as a 2nd Vehicle Grocery getting....around Town, for the reason's Mike(Murdog) has mentioned.....as I'm not happy with putting on more-n-more Mile's on my truck....once again as Mike mentioned, I to will be looking to find one.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

They really are sweet little cars! just make sure you get the 2.2L and not the 2.4L since the 2.4L has more powe rbut does use a considerably higher amount of fuel for most people

6. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

I had no idea that they got that good of gas mileage. Not my particular cup of tea, but we will surely miss all models that have been laid to rest! May they rise from the dead and take over all other car manufacturers! :fighting0072:

7. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Thats a shame about the HHR. I drove a loaner from the dealership while my vehicle had warranty work done. This was during a snow storm. The HHR with the Stabiltrack handled winter weather perfectly. Real comfy too. Made the PT cruiser look wimpy.

8. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

In the last two days, I've seen a BIG Caddy - I'm guessing Fleetwood, and smiled, and the local flower shop's HHR panel, and thought, eehhh.

I'll miss the big Caddies, but can't wait for lottery money to pick up my wifes Black Diamond CTS-V wagon
    I'll miss the big Buicks; I've ridden in the Lucerne - very nice. I still wish Olds's were here :(
    The HHR; I can see what they were trying for, but there was too long of a delay after the PT. Now a HHR with a 572 - I'd give it a shot. Though I probably wouldn't hit Murdog's 30mpg...

9. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I knew the Lucerne was only a matter of time... my mom has an '08 lucerne and it is a great car - super comfortable, decent power (despite its low specs on paper) and just overall nice car, BUT it is a bit behind the times. The 3.8 V6 had been around for a long time, so I wasn't really surprised when it was ditched in '09 in favor of the 3.9. Its a strange car to drive though because it and the DTS really are the only cars of that size with front-wheel-drive. It also has no road feel and no steering feel, so you feel pretty disconnected from the road. I have to say though, I'm not a big fan of the Allure/Lacrosse that was out until recently (it felt cheap to me). So, other than that, I think the lucerne really was buick's step out of the 90's.

I never would have expected the HHR to be scrapped though. I was always under the impression they sold well enough to keep them around.

10. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Sales for HHR were strong in the beginning, when the Hype was high. For some reason Chevrolet decided to tone down the advertising and selling the myriad of customization's that could make the HHR truly stand out. I have seen some pretty tricked out HHR's, including a wheel stander with an old Keith Black power house.