Road noise in 2011 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by feb, May 10, 2011.

1. feb

feb New Member

I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab. I notice that when I am driving, road and wind noise seem to be coming from the rear passenger side door, almost like there is a crack in the window. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the fix?
  2. Welcome to the club. Try taking a dollar bill, fold in half long ways and close in the door along the weather strip, pull on the bill as you slide it along the weather strip, when it pulls out thats were your wind noise is. If it doesn't pull out than your leak is most likely elsewhere.
  3. troutbug

troutbug New Member

4. jeffncherry

jeffncherry New Member

We have the same problem. Contacted the dealer. They took back seats and carpet out and did something. Messed up the seatbelt but didn't fix the wind noise. Filled out questions on service satisfaction survey with many negative answers. Then we started recieving calls from GM asking what can be done to satify us. We said fix the noise , replace the truck or refund our money. LOL...They are supposed to call us back on Tuesday. We will see.
  5. stephan

stephan New Member

I think Sal is spot on with your noise Feb. It's the rr vent. Rather than try & sort through all 265+ posts on that link, start at approx # 240 or #250 because that is about where some of the vehicles are starting to get fixed to the customers satisfaction.
  6. feb

feb New Member

wind noise

I had put some round pipe insulation between the cab and the bed right next to the vents and it knocked out most of the noise. When I took it in they said it was the quietest they had ever heard and did nothing. I took it in last week again. But before I did, I took out the pipe insulation. They test drove it and ordered new parts. The parts should be in next week. They also told me that they ordered a new rear cab insulator. The tech told me he was going to replace the cab insulator, add more insulation and seal up some holes. It will take 4 - 5 hours to do the job. We shall see.

I also had a rattle which I thought was the rear seat on the pass. side. Turns out is was in the headliner above the front pass. seat. The tech put more insulation up there and the problem is solved.
  7. McMahan

McMahan New Member

thats great advise i have never thought of that.

learn something new everyday
  8. I am sorry to hear about your experience. Please feel free to keep me posted regarding your concerns. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  9. feb

feb New Member

What does it mean - keep me posted? Are you able to get the problem corrected or are you going to tell us sorry, can't fix it? Saw your post in another thread about the noise and so far you haven't said anything but sorry. We paid a lot of money for these trucks. We don't want sorry ------ we want a fix.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  10. I would be happy to look into this further for you. Do you have a case number? In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

11. feb

feb New Member

The parts are in that were ordered for the road noise fix. I will bring it in tomorrow. They said it would take about 4 - 5 hours to complete everything. I was told that the best fix for the noise was the insulator with the rubber backing but they can not get those anymore. Doesn't the hybird use the rubber backed insulator? Seems to me GM should have them use that one to fix our problem. We shall see if tomorrow fixes the problem.

In answer to the above questions, I have 5,900 miles on my 2011 truck and no, I do not have a case number yet. I am in beginning process to try and fix this noise. Tell me, what does GM have in the works, if anything, to fix the problem?
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  12. I am glad to hear that you are working with your local dealer regarding this concern. Please continue to keep me informed in regards to your progress. Thank you.

13. DIGS16

DIGS16 New Member

my truck also rattles like a mother from the rear passenger side seat, r u sure it wasnt the hook where the seat is attached to on the backside?
  14. feb

feb New Member

I originally thought it was the rear seat. The tech took a ride with me and said it was the headliner above the front passenger seat. He hit it with his hand and it made the noise I was hearing. He said he fixed a number of them. He put some more insulation in the headliner and the noise stopped. I picked up my truck today after the fix for the wind & road noise. I haven't taken it out on the road yet but in the city, it seems quieter. I noticed that the rear doors do not slam shut now. I am hoping that the fix they did will solve the problem.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  15. feb

feb New Member

Took my truck on the road yesterday and the fixes the dealership made worked, the wind noise is gone. It feels so good to drive on the highway without that loud noise. Love my Chevy.
  16. jeffncherry

jeffncherry New Member

I think if you pay $40,000+ for a vehicle you should't have to fix it yourself...it should not need to be fixed especially when it is still new.
  17. feb

feb New Member

This is true but vehicles are made with human hands and it is human nature to make mistakes. What is important is to be able to fix what is wrong. I found a way to do a temporary fix until the dealership fix the problem. I have had other brand trucks and it is the same with all of them. Get the problem fixed and move on. I am satisfied.
  18. canadiantowman

canadiantowman New Member

I work hard for my money and when you buy a truck for that kind of money you should not have these problems to deal with. I wish this was the only problem with my truck, it was fixed at the dealer but did not get rid of the noise. My truck has made me wish I never bought it.
  19. Unfortunately I primarily specialize in working with customers in the US. However, I would recommend contacting GM of Canada at 800-263-3777. The hours of operation are M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. I hope this helps. Thank you.

20. gearhead58

gearhead58 New Member

parts list

Jeb, will you post exactly what they did to fix your truck with the parts list so the rest of us can go to our dealership and get our trucks fixed. Thanks