Road Trip Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I haven't taken a good road trip in quite some time.

We packed up the Trailblazer and headed East about 6-8 hours from Dallas to Jackson, Miss to visit somes friends. It was a good drive overall and the only issue was us having to stop to make sure the kiddo didn't get too cranky. We stopped in Louisanna to get something to eat and to stretch our legs about 1/2 way there. - Got about 19 MPG on the trip.

Our next trip will take us West to New Mexico. We plan on going to Taos and Santa Fe maybe mid to late spring next year. That should be about a week long trip and we hope to see a lot of sights along the way.

Anyone else had any good road trips lately?

2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had one this past weekend. It was supposed to be a simple 5-6 hour drive to the deer lease down near Mason, TX, with a buddy and my daughter, but we ended up having to make a few side trips on the way down and it took us 8 hours to get to the lease. A friend that lives in Mason bought a 2004 Z-71 Suburban here in Dallas and asked if I could deliver it to her. Since my buddy was going in his truck, I followed him to his cousin's house to pick a deer blind and then delivered the truck in Mason. The truck drove real nice and my daughter really liked the DVD player.

3. chevyloverss

chevyloverss Member

I'm planing a trip to Canada about 600 miles and i think the best thing i did for my son was to install a dvd player 'cause it keeps him happy back there and i could listen to my music instead of him asking are we there yet every 5 mins. I would like to get a nav system for myself but not just yet

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My folks are actually driving here for the holidays right now as I type. They're coming in from Phoenix and will be here for about a week. I think they're taking my dad's Jeep Grand Cherokee and will do the trip in 2 days.

I don't know about the other TB owners, but I just feel cramped in the Grand Cherokee, I felt like the door was pushing in on me as I sat there. I'm glad that I'll have my TB to stretch out in as I head down the road.

5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Last road trip we took was to North Carolina to pick up our horse trailer, and then over to Tennessee to pick up our new puppy. Otherwise no recent road trips. Something tells me that we're due for one soon though. Any excuse to get out, and take a long cruise is fine by me. :D

6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I drive to Portland, Or. at least once a year to see my daughter. It is 5000 miles round trip, so we usually spend some time on the Or. coast (if you have not been there, you need to go!). I will pull my pickup behind my motor home, as I have for the past 3 years. That way you always have a good ride for side trips! The motor home gets about 9mpg, but I don't have any motel bills!

7. Inthebreak

Inthebreak New Member

Just took the 06 Colorado Z71 on a trip to Illinois. 620 miles each way and fair gas milage. 21 on the highway for the duration. No problems with comfort or climate though temps were in the teens a couple times. Have a portable XM and that is the ticket for any long road trip. Home again and ready for the next one.
    cheers

8. rmreid

rmreid Member

My last road trip for me was back home to NH from Millington, TN over 1390 miles and 24 hours plus of driving :cry:

9. Grynder

Grynder Rockstar

Last road trip was from Phoenix to Houston last March. Carried our Lance camper and towed our 16' flat bed with the samurai and 2 quads. About 2200 mile round trip without a single hiccup the whole way. Encountered everything from sunshine, 60 MPH wind, rain, snow.....you name it. Was a total blast !