1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Roadmaster Active Suspension Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by SurrealOne, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That was one of the reason [MENTION=12002]moogvo[/MENTION] recommended it to me awhile back. In theory if the RAS is trying to keep the leafs as close to factory shape to increase control then it should help my rear end sag. But either way I will try to call Ryan next week to ask my questions.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The theory is definitely sound...

3. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

are these alright to run if you are currently running addaleafs?

4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sure. They don't actually alter your leaf springs or any other system on your vehicle. You could have 10 leaves in your spring pack and still use these!

5. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

awesome, with my rig only having a half inch of rake, 43 3/4" front, 44 1/4" rear, i'll deffinately be investing in a set of these to keep a level stance while towing. To me theres nothing worse than seein a truck goin down the highway with that diaper ass look lol.

6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Something I forgot to think about is rear end weight distribution with this installed? What happens when you have the RMAS installed and there is no weight in the bed and it is slick on the roads...... We have issues with ICE in the winter here, the rear end of my truck is so light already that the tires spin if there is ice.

So say I put allot of sand bags above the rear axle if it is going to be icy to weigh the back down and the RMAS is compensating for that... the weight is still on the tires, but would I need more weight to keep traction?

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

RAS arrived via Fed EX this afternoon, should be installed this weekend then maybe we'll tow the boat around the neighborhood to see how the truck reacts.
    I have high hopes for them, this truck has a few towing quirks I'm not real happy with and I'm hoping RAS straightens them out.
    Since my boat trailer is lengthened by 14" at the tow bar squatting isnt a problem, tongue weight is only about 115lbs.
    But the wheel base of the truck makes it lurch when towing a trailer over road sections, with my boat and car trailers it's just long enough to hit front wheels and trailer wheels on the expansion joints at the same time, not a comfortable ride so lets hope the RAS fix's this problem.

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've had the Road Master Active Suspension on the truck for a little less than 2 weeks now and it's working great.

For the first test I towed a 3800lb car/trailer from Dallas, Tx to Lukenbach, Tx, via Austin, Tx for a total of 562 miles, a 1/4 of the trip was made on curvy roads going up and down grades and I was impressed with the newfound handling from the RAS system.
    The truck and trailer stayed level and I only had a problem swaying once when a line of 5 semi's passed me simultaneously, speeding up about 5 mph quickly stopped the swaying.

Around town unloaded the truck retained it's soft comfortable ride but does handle freeway cloverleafs and curves a little better than before with less rear roll.

The only problem/issue I encountered was after having worked so hard to lower the truck 2" with drop shackles measurements taken before and after the install show the truck came back up between a 1/4" and a 1/2" after the install, I took measurements a week later to account for settling and it was still a touch higher than before installation.

As a longtime fan and user of airbag systems I have to say I'm very impressed with the RAS system, it did everything I was told it would. A much easier system to install and maintain than airbags, nothing to worry about once it's installed.

Installation took about 1 hour and was accomplished with a couple wrench's, socket/ratchet, floor jack, and jack stands.

After reading the instructions the night before I decided I was going to deviate to save time since I was doing it in the driveway and the forcast called for rain that day.

I didnt remove the rear wheels, the only real purpose I could see for that was possibly changing the system preload, and even that was doubtful since the instructions have you lifting the rear axle with the floor jack, placing jack stands, then settling the floor jack with about a 1/2" load, then removing the tires, so I got lazy and deleted the tire removal step.

All worked well and it didnt start raining until I was putting away the tools.
    If I need to I can easily be adjust the system with a wrench and socket/ratchet while on the ground, might take a little extra effort but it isnt impossible.

Gotta give a big shout out to Moogvo an SurrealOne for the recommendation, it worked as advertised and appears to be a great product.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm very glad you're happy with it! Moogvo gets all the credit for turning me on to the product.

I wouldn't think you'd need more weight. RAS affects -how- you carry the weight but doesn't reduce the weight, itself. You added mass above the rear tires and that'll be the part that's most relevant to improving your traction.

10. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow! Thank you sir! And that is correct. The RMAS does not compromise handling on an unloaded vehicle. It certainly does not need the truck to be loaded to be safe. It will improve the ride and handling even unloaded by stabilizing the rear axle beyond what it is from the factory.

The only reason they have you take the tires off is to make it easier to install it. No other reason.