GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Roads are Terrible!!! And getting worse!!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by the phantom, Feb 23, 2014.

1. the phantom

the phantom New Member

With the lowest temperatures in several years I have noticed the potholes and heaving from the frost of the roads is just terrible this year.. Digging holes in roads for my work I can tell you the frost(where its been plowed and not snow insulated)is at least 26 inches deep. It actually goes a bit deeper as things start to thaw.. Ive noticed the centerline of my local expressway has got several crevices and some large potholes that if your passing throws the vehicle around. Not good when the roads are a bit snowy..(Yeah I pass on snowy roads:lol:) How is the town,state, country going to afford all of this damage??? They put temporary cold patch which is very expensive to tempararily fill the hole then have to decide whether the street warrants a new surface when the weather permits.. There are not too many streets this year that look good after this winter IMO.
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Roads are terrible here too in cortez, co. Sad because they usually do a good job with maintenance and upkeep, but they really dropped the ball these last few years.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Our roads and highways haven't started to thaw yet, I would guess our frost is down double your depth [MENTION=54154]the phantom[/MENTION]; but, our city streets are starting to break up badly. We always have surface break ups, but I think this year will be worse than a lot of the previous winters.

Or city crew has a machine that uses the waste from streets that had their surfaces shaved during the previous summer. This machine heats the waste (and they may add some tar, I don't know) and they have an acceptable "hot patch". It will outlast the "cold patch" by many weeks.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

It's going to be a bad summer for roads all over the country.

To make matters worse most states get funds for road repair from gasoline tax by the gallon. Well, all vehicles get about 50% better mpg than they did 20 years ago. So more miles on the same gas tax revenue means more repairs for less money.
  5. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson New Member

Down here they take that milled/ground asphalt and deliver it right back to the plant to recycle into the new layer being put down.
    We do also have a 'hot' patch mix(some call it a chip seal) that they can put down that will last longer than the 'cold' mix, provided the hole is big enough.....
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Most of ours goes back to the plant as well, they keep a small amount for winter patches.
  7. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 New Member

AT 3.45 a gallon, up from 3.09 two weeks ago, they seem to be saving for road repair already in oklahoma, not that they will do much beyond drop another cold patch here and there, I went to the comedy club in bricktown a few years back, one comedian said when he was on his way to the hotel from the airport, he knew he was in a golfing state, as there were 18 holes to every mile of road.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I bent the front bumper on my Hino on Thur morn in Pa on a Pot hole so YES they are BAD!!!
  9. j cat

j cat Active Member

during an escape to the warmer parts of the US where it never gets cold on my travels south , the worst road from here to southern Florida is the 87/287 hyway around NYC... very bad pot holes and heavy traffic,,,.massachusetts/new jersy TPK/Connecticut good.. Maryland did have some bad road....

south of maryland no road problems except lots of falling trees in south carolina for many miles falling on rt 95...
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

roflmao! Sounds like Oklahoma alright! Love that joke! I'll be in Oklahoma March 9-15 so at least I know not much has changed
  11. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

The pot holes in CT especially in my town get really bad this time of year because most local roads have tons of patch work. Many times city plows just rip the pavement up or rip the patches right out of the ground. The city refuses to repave because residents would complain about the noise, smell and inability to access their homes. I hope this year they do a better job on their patches so they don't fall apart by august like normal.
  12. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

I lost a tire two weeks ago... :/
  13. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Did you ever find it??:lol:West Main st. near the firehall is getting brutal here wouldn't ya say?
  14. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

I'd say Rte 219 going north in Ashford is the worst... almost bounces you into the other lane. Looks like an alignment is coming in the spring.
  15. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member

I'm in in Hudson Valley area of NY and the roads are pretty bad here too. Holes everywhere. Swerving to avoid them all over the place.
    I just got tires on a few weeks ago and now one or a couple of them are unbalanced due to accidentally hitting a couple potholes.
  16. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member

I love leaving LA. It's getting horrible here. Each summer when it gets above 110 degrees or so and the older roads start to "buckle" from heavy traffic they go unfixed and begin to break apart. Louisiana as a whole has horrible road quality. You can tell as soon as you leave the state how well the roads change say, headed to Texas (Mississippi roads are like roller coasters, almost worse than here).
  17. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Never mind the rutt'ss How about the Mounds.. All Ice by me.. PART_1393537354756.jpg
  18. 66 chevyman

66 chevyman New Member

The roads are fine here in Oregon..we've mainly been getting a ton of rain. But a month ago from December-January the roads were a night mare. lol.
  19. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Hino??
    Seem to remember some Toyota related manufacturer-maybe built Diesel trucks-called Hino?
    What is your Hino-where did it come from.

I'm in New Orleans suburbs- we have potholes here also-but they are different than your "cold wet winter" destroyed roads- I think they have something to do with our soil-rain-drought-weight of cars-
    We have plenty-but they aren't as bad as the ones I see on TV that folks in "cold and wet" areas are dealing with

Body on frame trucks-usually have sturdier suspensions steering etc-than cars-since they are in theory work vehicles-guessing our GM trucks take less of a beating than the cars-more ground clearance too
  20. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Yeah I knew a guy that had one. He hauled hay from here in NY to Florida every summer with it.. I think it was a cab over straight truck. I think your right with it being a Toyota or something.