1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Roadside Alternator Swap!

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by unplugged, Nov 19, 2007.

1. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

PITSTOP IN POMONA!
    60 miles from home and I had to make a roadside repair. Coming off the freeway, I slowed and heard what sounded like the dreaded power steering grind. I pulled over and whipped the hood open and there was a distinct odor of something burning. Unable to isolate the source of the smoke and grinding, I grabbed the throttle and blipped it. A puff of smoke and chunks came flying out of the alternator. The voltmeter was at 12vdc and sinking and the little red "no charge" indicator was lit. Drove to the nearest parts store that happened to be a Kragen's. I bought the Autolite Premium alternator for $150 that is new and not a reman. I didn't have any tools on board so I bought a $20 set of combo wrenches and had us back on the road in 30 minutes. Pics included for effect.

Reminds me of some of the late night flogging we used to do to get the race car ready. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Nothing quite like a little roadside repair. I think we've all done that. :party:
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

True that! On several hunting trips we have had to replace everything from brake lines, alternators, radiators, to transfer cases.

This photo is of the tranfer case out my Buddy's 89 Suburban after backing into a stump. He ran for parts in the morning and we did the swap at deer camp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

What everyone else said...It sucks losing the alt on the way home, or anything else for that matter. And it always seems to occur when you're having the most fun, or the most happy, just to anny the hell outta you. Glad you got through it fine with no snags.

EDIT: any autopsy report as to what happened to the alternator?
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

haha I've seen engine swaps done by throwing a winch cable over a tree branch. Actually worked too!
  6. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, another time was back when I was dating the wife. The alternator light came on so I pulled over and popped the hood. When I saw the busted fan belt I casually walked to the passenger side of the car and knocked on the window. I asked her to take off her pantyhose and she had that "What you wanna do something here on the side of the road?" look on her face. She was a bit relieved when I explained that I just needed to jury rig a fan belt. Back on the road in minutes and turned into the driveway of the first motel! lol :glasses::glasses:
  7. PepboysASETech

PepboysASETech New Member

Nice with the panty hose, lol. No luck there now days girls done wear those as often, lol. And thats why i love my chevy truck. Almost everything can be changed in a matter of minutes and with little effort. And being a Tech i LOVE it when a chevy comes in with a seized compressor, alternator, or even p/s pumps. Alls i see is $$$. lol