1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Roadside Assistance Programs..??

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by JRD761, Apr 2, 2011.

1. JRD761

JRD761 New Member 100 Posts

I've been looking around at differrent roadside assistance programs (mostly for the towing part) since I've been driving a lot lately.. And thought it would be a wise investment in case something did happen to my truck and it needed to be towed.

I'm a little upset that AAA doesn't allow their new members to get one of their upgraded plans.. and that they restrict new members for their first year to only 7 miles worth of towing.. so I probably won't go with them.

I also looked into "GM Motor Club" (https://www.gmmotorclub.com).. They are $69 a year.. but their website says "we will pay to tow your vehicle to the nearest repair facility — no matter how far that is.".. so I'm guessing they won't tow it to my house to let me work on it??

Then I also looked around on here and saw some people talking about "Good Sam" through Camping World... and their website says "Unlimited Distance Towing to the Nearest Independent Professional Service Center".. so again, I'm guessing they won't tow me to my own house especially if it's 100 miles away.. :/

Anyone know of a roadside assistance program that has a decent (around 100 mile) towing range??
  2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member 100 Posts

I use onstar... not sure on towing radius for them but I have only had to use it for running out of gas once (long story) :oops:
  3. JRD761

I can't seem to find anything about Onstar's roadside assistance.. do they let people that don't have Onstar in their cars subscribe to it?
  4. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member 100 Posts

I think you have to have the onstar hardware in the vehicle to utilize their services. If I didn't have onstar I would probably either go through AAA or my insurance company.
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I say 100% for the insurance company. Talk to them but my agent has let me pick the shop or tow to my house. They did make me pay a little portion but nowhere near the $130 that it was (now that tow is more like $300 or more i had to do it a couple of times when i was driving a tow truck).
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like Murdog says talk to your insurance company, most insurance companies are usually connected to a good roadside plan.
    I have Allstate that costs about $79 a year, but it comes with a lot of extras, one of them being a no questions asked tow to the destination of my choice up to 500 miles.
    Not sure if they have any new customer restrictions I've had my plan about 25yrs.
  7. JRD761

I've got Allstate as well, and their plan for a new customer is $108 a year, and gives you "$150 worth of towing".. They have a $250 one, but not until you get a year :/

And I don't even know if that will work.. I live in a valley about 50 miles away from Los Angeles.. and if you're down in the LA area, and something happens, you're stuck with a minimum $400 tow bill.. My buddy's car has been towed twice now, both were around $600 :/
  8. 383man

383man New Member 100 Posts

or you could always go with don't break down? haha, just kidding, AAA is a great service, i have buddies that have it and i've used theirs before, as long as the card holder is there, they'll tow any car you want. I myself use onstar, it's the best, and also have roadside assistance through my insurance so i guess i'm double covered. good luck man, try to keep her rolling :)