Roaring in front end

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by sierrasst, Jun 5, 2010.

1. sierrasst

sierrasst New Member

I'm getting a loud roaring noise when curving to the right. Faster the truck is moving louder it seems to be. Any ideas?

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What Year Truck,2wd or 4wd???

3. sierrasst

sierrasst New Member

06 sierra 2wd 1500

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Without hearing the sound......and from what you have mentioned,......It may be a Front Wheel Bearing Hub going Bad......The way to check this is to raise the front and Check the both Front Wheels........You want to grab the wheel at the 12:00 and 6:00 Position and Then at the 9:00 and 3:00 Position......and your Looking & Feeling for Any Play in the Wheel,if there is.......your Wheel Bearing Hub will need to be Re-Placed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Also looking for smooth rolling of the wheel when it is in the air.. I have had them go bad and not have any play they just rolled really rough.

6. sierrasst

sierrasst New Member

Thanks guys! A little more help though

Thanks guys! You were right. Driver side bearing was going. With that replaced and the steering shaft this weekend 95% of the noise I was hearing is gone. But I can still hear some noise. It almost seems to come from both the front and back of the truck. Mainly on turns where the level is changing. All tie rods and ball joints seem to be good. Any ideas what that could be? It almost sound like a ball joint is going, but i know that's not the case. And what in the back could be making that noise? :grrrrrr:

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

Glad to help.......On the noise you still here......What kind of Noise,a Clunking or Grinning etc........

8. sierrasst

sierrasst New Member

clunking. If I didn't know any better I would almost describe it as if it sounds like the body of the truck is flexing when it goes over level changes mainly in a turn. It sound like the pop a ball joint or tie rod makes when it is going, but I can hear it in the front and the back. Not necessarily at the same times or all the time.

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

Once again without being able to Hear the Noise??....Hard to said.......I would take look at the.....Front Suspension, Shocks Front & Back, Leaf Spring's and the Drive Shaft...to see if anything has come Loose.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013