1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rock Auto, Stealership, or parts store?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jamm3r, Dec 20, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

2012 has been a big year for repairs for me with an engine replacement, two water pumps, three brake jobs, one ball joint, an alternator, a wheel hub or two, some oil cooler lines, transmission filters, oil filters, some body work, headlight assemblies, and various other stuff in support of my own car habit as well as wife and kids.

That leads me to think over the good and the bad with Rock Auto, the stealership parts department, and the local NAPA.

The stealership has the lowest prices on Autotrac fluid and in a few other cases they have had parts in stock at more or less the same prices as the NAPA, and their parts service is great so I'm using them for more stuff than I used to.

Rock Auto has good prices overall but I'm finding that it really depends on the part. They seem to be good at wiper blades, belts, and hoses. They have good deals on body parts as long as they aren't so bulky that they are expensive to ship -- things like lamp assemblies. They also have much better deals on odd parts that the NAPA would have to special order from their supplier -- like the oil cooler lines for my 8.1. In the same light they are at their best for parts for cars that are a little unusual, like parts for my kid's Dodge Intrepid, which was never made in huge numbers and has all kinds of parts that don't interchange with anything else except the LHS.

I no longer return cores to Rock Auto. I've sent back two, and they lost one of them even though I complied with all their various requirements, and it's just too much of a hassle between packing, shipping, and keeping track of everything and trying to get them to credit what they should. So anything that has a valuable core I buy locally now.

I like my local NAPA for the fast service, for the easy core returns, and the fact that they have the fiddly stuff and hard to ship stuff that Rock Auto doesn't carry -- oil, brake fluid, fasteners. I also trust them to provide warranty service and parts that fit where there's a lot of money involved, like a new long block.

Post up with your experiences with the internet retailers or your local parts place.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I use amazon and Autozone and have never had a problem. Amazon has AC Delco parts from Delco for ridiculously low prices and are warrantied. With amazon you can't return the core but they don't charge you extra. You can put in your vehicle's info and find the exact parts you want. Yes there are some things you cant get, but still worth it. Also if you are a prime member all AC Delco parts have 2 day free shipping.

Autozone is great if you get their rewards card because after 5 purchases of $20 or more you get $20 back. Also their online site is very helpful.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yup - I get AC Delco parts from Amazon, too. Prime membership rocks. I got my truck box 2-day drop-shipped from Amazon because it was Prime-eligible. That, alone, paid for my Prime membership, that year. My 87lb Warn winch was Prime-eligible, too, ... and cheaper than anywhere else. I'm sure Amazon hates me for raking them over the coals, shipping-wise, as a Prime member!
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree every year between me and my parents we prob cost them 1,000's in shipping. This month I have almost ordered $100 worth of parts shipped 2 day for free. All the stuff for my tranny mods are prime eligible so I will save a lot on those when I order them later this year.
  5. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

I prefer to use my local NAPA, it's the one of the last privately owned and run stores in my area. I don't mind spending a little extra to help keep a mom and pop type business open. The service is excellant and you can't get the same expert advice, from an old timer whose seen it all, at any chain store out there. All the other NAPA's nearby are corporate owned, and you can tell by the level of service they provide.
  6. BillM

BillM Member 100 Posts

I also use Amazon and Summit Racing for cheaper prices and fast delivery. But, I also go to the local Napa and Car Quest stores for stuff, too.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

"Free shipping" is sometimes a good deal, people need to add the cost of the product plus the shipping costs. Many times firms that offer "free shipping" are simply adding the shipping cost into the purchase price so they end of costing the same.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I buy from Amazon also. I can get parts from GM at dealer cost using the GM employee discount program. Many times the AC Delco parts are a few dollars cheaper than what I can get them thru GM SPO! Plus, free 2 day shipping. I did have a delco power steering pump that I bought on amazon go bad in a few hours. They over night shipped me a new one for free and paid for the return shipping for the defective part. Yea, I had to do it twice, but they took care of the issue. I will use autozone or napa for brake pads and rotors,
  9. marine59

marine59 New Member

thank you for the info on rock auto, i was going to order a window switch cost 140.00 much cheaper than dealer but if i were to have a problem i dont think they would resolve the problem from what info you have supplied, i normally go to autozone i get good products at a reasonably good price, thanks ken