Rocker Panels

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Mr. Sierra, May 23, 2011.

1. Mr. Sierra

Mr. Sierra Member

How does one replace these? Do I need a torch to cut out old rusted areas? And what about rust in fender wells? What's best way to replace that?

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Most guys use a die grinder & a cutting disc to cut out rusty rockers & body panels. It makes it a lot cleaner edges for welding in your new replacement pieces. Cutting torches are pretty messy for this. With a cutting disc you can cut them exactly to the 1/64" where you need to.
    Also, never cut your panels untill you recieve your new panels, so you can get the exact measurements, because some panels come long or short by as much as 1/4" - 3/8" depending on which manufacturer you buy them from

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Also as to the over fender? im assuming you are talking about the box panels since you are from MN and that is the other most common place. They make a patch panel just like the ones for the rockers. Or else you can get an entire box panel, or even a new box (ive found them on the MPLS Craigslist for $300) with out any rust. there are 8 bolts and it takes about 3 hours to replace it.

4. Mr. Sierra

Mr. Sierra Member

Question on rockers, after I die grind them out do I braze them in or use stick welds? I assume you have to put them in a little at a time to avoid warping.

Box panels, I'm not sure what those are? Do they use the term Quarter panels? The rust is right over the back wheels and goes up about two or three inches.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yes the box panel is the entire body panel on the box. The Quarter panels are the ones on the front of the truck. And you will use a wire feed to get the replacement panels in. And then you will obviously smooth it off and primer and then paint.

6. Mr. Sierra

Mr. Sierra Member

Thanks for tip, I think this time instead of buying replacement truck I'm going to fix the old one up. Minnesota rust has always forced me in the past to get rid of car. I got to thinking that you could almost completly redo your entire truck with lots of custom stuff for the price of even a 3 year old with 60,000... Figure $17,000-$21,000 that's a lot of repair money. And a lot of custom CHROME.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  7. stephan

Sierra, These thin panels will warp easily when you weld them in, so you never want to run a bead when you're putting them in. Only use spot welds & never make 2 spot welds together or the panels will get too hot & warp. Make your spotwelds 3" to 4" inches apart to aid cooling, then go back & make your next spot where it has completely cooled. It's time consuming, but less time in the long run compared to having warped panels to have to deal with :great:

8. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

This. I really regretted letting my mechanic/paint guy talk me into patching the rockers back together, they were about to rust right back through when I sold it 6 months later.

9. stephan

Yep, there are some sprays that they claim will stop the rust, but there's nothing that will replace the metal that's been eroded away except new panels. Patching little spots here & there never works unless you've gone beyond where the rust is.

10. Mr. Sierra

Mr. Sierra Member

Hey everyone thanks for the tips.