Roll on bed liner, your opinions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dadngt, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

Whats everyones experance or concerns or opinion about the herculiner roll/brush on bed liner? I know the spray on liner would be best but @ $500+ out of range.

2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I was always told you get what you pay for. I wont hold up as long as a professional coating such as Line-X or Rhino Line. Also it depends what will you be hauling and how much wear it might see. One problem I have heard is not sanding the bed enough, and cleaning it thoroughly, and with that the coating wont cling to the bed enough and peal off

3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

It fades pretty quickly and chips fairly easy...dont recommened it!...i got line-x and love it!

4. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

That was what I had feared about that stuff. So I better save up for the spray on. I have hauled a ton of sand, rocks, but not often but happens.

5. jeremyc

jeremyc New Member

You won't be happy with it. I have the GatorHyde spray-in bed liner that runs about $400 or so. Looks sharp and well worth the money. I haven't seen a roll on liner that wasn't peeling...

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I did roll on to the interior of my Jeep Wrangler a few years back, I've never had an issue with fading, I did have an issue in the begining with peeling/chipping but that was my own fault as I got lazy doing the prep work and didnt clean a couple areas as good as I should have.
    The liner job has held up well over the years against mud and rocks on the front floors and the rear/bed still looks new when I wash it out, I normally carry chains, tow hooks, tools, and junk like that in the back so I'm real surprised it hasnt been scraped up.
    My opinion is it works well but you do need to follow the prep instructions closely to get a good job.
    Since doing my interior I've helped do a few truck beds and even the exterior of a friends flat bed and all have turned out real good.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Since you have some experience with roll-on, I'm considering using Grizzly Grip on my trailer once I get it, as I know the powdercoat used on trailers is very prone to chipping/peeling. Thoughts?

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not familiar with Grizzly grip I had to look it up, from the description it's a lot like the coating I used in the Jeep, it uses rubber bits instead of silicone or sand like a lot of other products use. I dont remember the brand name of the stuff I used on the Jeep, I do remember mixing in hardners, a catalyst, and a UV extender though.
    Just about all my trailers are powdercoated, boat trailer, car trailer, motorcycle hauler, and an off-road camping/Jeep trailer, the only two I have powdercoat chipping problems on are the boat trailer and the Off-road trailer.
    I expect this though since the environment they operate in most of the time isnt the best, my off-road trailer has had chips and nicks from day one 6 years ago, the day I took delivery of it I also drug it on it's side through a rock slide, the only marks that wont buff out are ones that went down to the metal.
    My boat trailer is 10 years old and I noticed this spring its starting to show chips in some of the lower areas where water sits or drips on it from low points on the boat, all the chips have corrosion so I dont know if it got corrosion behind the powdercoat and it chipped or if it chipped and then got corroded, doesnt matter either way I'm gonna have to do something about it this winter.
    I was already thinking about using a bed liner for both trailers since I bought a used bedliner material spray gun and hopper at the local flea market for $75. I've been researching how to mix colors so I can spray the boat trailer back to it's original blue and the Off-road trailer I'd like to change from lime green to tan. Probably spray the decks on the other trailers while I have the material mixed up. I dont know if something like Grizzly Grip can be sprayed, might have to be rolled which really wouldnt be a problem since with liner material you use a lot more by spraying any ways. I'll have to do a little more research since I know I want to use a product with rubber vice the other available materials.

9. blackedoutduramax

blackedoutduramax New Member

I too did my own roll on Bed liner and it turned pretty nice. And like tbplus10 the only areas where I have peeling and chipping problems is the areas where I did not take my time with the prep.

I used the dupli color bed armor and sprayed it on with the dupli color syphon hose sprayer sold at oreily's. my neighbor and I did my truck and his in one weekend. And on both trucks we did the front and back ranch hand bumpers, fender flares, tool box, and the bed. We both went and got quotes for everything we wanted sprayed first and the quotes ranged from $1500-$2000 from the local shops. We did both trucks for $700 in liner material and $50 for the sprayer.

As for holding up the bumpers, flares and toolboxes are still holding up well. The only areas I have had issues is in the bed of the truck. And again that is because that was the last area I did and slacked off on the prep job.

The one thing about the stuff I used is it will look somewhat faded after a while. But I just use some armor all on everything that is visible after washing the truck and it looks like it was freshly sprayed again. And stays that way for about a month before it starts looking worn again.

I have some photos of the job I need to upload. I will try and get them up this week sometime.

10. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com Rockstar 100 Posts

I sprayed an 01 s10 with the SEM coating. We sanded the bed with a DA, and also got all the small places by hand with sand paper. Spent 8 hours on the prep, and also wiped it down to prep it good. I sprayed it with a Devilbiss Millenium with a 1.8 tip, it went on really nice and the texture was perfect. We bought the tintable version, which we colored to match the truck. One year later the bed rotted from the inside out literally, no peeling but I will never do another one again. Oh well now we can get a stepside bed!!