1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

RomaniGypsy from Central Texas

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by RomaniGypsy, Aug 1, 2012.

1. RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy New Member

RomaniGypsy, central Texas, 1996 C3500 diesel, automatic, crew cab, long bed, 2WD, single rear wheel. Love that truck!

Searching for a good Tahoe / Yukon / Suburban... and it ain't easy finding what I want, or finding instructions online for how to do an important swap! Hoping to get some help from this forum.
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Welcome we'll help with just about anything. IMHO, the trucks of the 1990s were and still are the best. I like the 97-99 Tahoes, Burbs, and Yukons the best
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:
  5. RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy New Member

Yeah, I've had mine for four years, about 60,000 miles... and it's still "like a rock". 207,000 miles, still runs like a champ. Of course, it helps that the engine only has 132,000 miles... :)

Anyway, my biggest question involves the swap of a 60/40 bench from a Tahoe into another Tahoe or a Suburban. (Yukon / Yukon XL / Denali as well)

I think I've figured out that 1999 was the last year when they made the type of bench I'm looking for. The 1999 I test-drove today had the right interior but there was too much wrong with it... so I passed. Searching Cars.com and Craigslist has yielded that maybe only 10% of the Tahoes / Yukons out there have the front bench as opposed to the buckets with center console... so I'm tasked with finding something that is everything we're looking for, PLUS that bench seat. Needing to have the bench automatically eliminates 90% of what would otherwise be good vehicles.

Therefore, if I find something that's otherwise ideal, I'd like to know if I can get a 60/40 bench from another vehicle, or a junkyard, and install it into the vehicle I buy. Also, it seems as though the Suburban doesn't even offer that bench seat... so if I was to get a Suburban, I'd want to swap the bench into it.

"WHY are you obsessed with getting that bench?!?!?!" (I can hear it now...)

Well, it's for my wife. I married the most gorgeous woman I ever saw... and since I've always liked 'em big, you can only imagine what that means. There ain't a bucket seat known to man that comes close to fitting her. Thus, the bench it must be. She said she was perfectly comfortable sitting on the bench seat in the '99 Tahoe today... so that's what we're going to aim for. Since we're both tall (6'2" and 6'3", and yes, she is the taller one), it's fine to have a split bench because we could put it at the same legroom setting for passenger and driver, and both be comfortable... so it'd be effectively like a full bench.

Any ideas?
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  6. rileyjr16

Junkyard would probably have a bench seat in a wrecked one. Even if the fabric and foam is bad you can always have it recovered. And I do believe that a 60/40 bench will bolt into the same holes. I saw a kid here who had the same 97 as me took out his bench and put bucket seats in
  7. RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy New Member

One would think that that is a good bit easier to do, though...?

Hey, what do I know... if I had all the answers, I wouldn't be asking questions. Maybe it is easy. The most seat-swapping I've ever done was swapping the middle-left captain's chair for the front-left captain's chair in my 1987 Dodge Ram van when the front-left captain's chair was obviously worn out (fabric torn, stuffing coming out) from 200,000 miles' worth of people's butts sliding across it to get in and out.
  8. rileyjr16

Lol What you mean?
  9. RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy New Member

It'd seem easier to remove a bench and install buckets. I'd think that the bucket seats, being smaller, would install easier. Plus, wouldn't a split bench need some type of sub-frame underneath it which a bucket seat wouldn't need... especially over the transmission/driveshaft hump?
  10. rileyjr16

It already would. Its the entire thing I'm talking about. Frame and backrest and all