Roof rack for Chevy Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Camiudom, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Camiudom

Camiudom New Member

I recently purchased an 87 suburban and wish to add a roof rack. A quick look at the Thule website only offers one solution with a maximum capacity of 165 pounds.
    Does anyone know of any rack system that might be fitting of an older square body suburban and/or can actually carry some cargo?

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Picture 384.jpg I have used Yakima roof racks and I thought highly of them. I had it mounted on my grean cherokee to hold a bike and a snowboard rack. I don't know what the weight rating was though.

4. Camiudom

Camiudom New Member

Thank you very much, Perrycraft does have many more options available than I had otherwise. I guess I never gave much thought to the weight capacity of roof racks before now, but even the best of them seem to be rated at 220lb. I know they must be capable of more, and certainly have probably exceeded them many times that weight without knowing.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Not safe but I have had about 250 at most on the Rails of mine.. they are a nice set up and much lower in price then The Big guys..

6. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Sharp!! Like the Hood, don't usually like the twin scoops but looks good on this model!

7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I don't think the roofs of most vehicles were designed with the idea to put allot of weight on them.

Like the roofing guys that came by to replace my roof last week, they have one of those bed racks that extend over the roof so that can carry more weight above the cab of the truck, but it is mounted on supports coming out of the bed, not mounted to the roof.

I would think there is a break point where if it is too heavy for the roof, it goes in the cab or the bed, if it is too heavy for the cab or the bed, then it goes on a trailer that you are towing.

8. Enkeiavalanche

If you find the PerryCraft.com part numbers that you want and will work with your truck Pm me the part numbers..