1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Roof Rack Opinions

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Cheez, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez Member

Good morning all! Quite a dreary one here in Louisiana... On to my questions. I've always enjoyed to look of a simple roof rack. Nothing that is really functional, mainly just 2 parallel roof rails for aesthetic reasons. Has anyone found any that look decent? I like the ones on the 2011 crew cab Silverado. I'm not too sure about the fit on my extended cab. Here's a picture of the ones I'm partial to.
    [​IMG]

I think it would fit on an extended cab truck just fine. I'm not too sure about the look though...
    GM Part# 19166253 btw.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

While browsing a Duramax forum I found this picture.
    [​IMG]
    Seeing it from the side really reinforces my opinion in it fitting my extended cab. And just to clear it up, I'm just interested in the part that attaches to the truck. I'm not interested in the cross bars.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My mother always taught me that if I had nothing good to say ... say nothing. If I hadn't been raised that way I'd tell you what I think of OEM roof racks... :neutral:
  3. Cheez

Cheez Member

Oh I know what you mean. You either love them or hate them.
  4. AutoAnything

AutoAnything New Member

5. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Can't do it. Would kill the looks of the truck. But that's just my opinion.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Love or hate roof racks the one thing that comes to mind for me when thinking of adding a roof rack is the fact that be it a roof rack or a sun roof I've never had good luck putting holes in the top of my vehicles, it always ended up with me fighting a leak of some sort.
    With that said I saw an extracab Chevy with a factory style rack on the highway last week. It was the first one I'd seen so I just assumed it was a factory offering and I hadnt seen many of them.
    It looked a little long and my immpression was it'd look better if you could take a few inchs out of it.
  7. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

This may sound like a shameless plug....

If you are going to do that....paint them to match the truck or Hydro Dip them in a Carbon Fiber etc....
  8. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

I say if they have no function and only form, don't do it. But I'm one of those function over form types. I've been thinking of getting those rails myself, but I eventually want a basket on the cab, so that's my reasoning for it ;)
  9. troutbug

troutbug Member

Yeah, I wouldn't put holes in my roof if it was purely for cosmetic reasons. I have a bar that is removable over the cab, but it clamps in from the side. I did put holes in the camper shell, but it wasn't as critical if that leaked or not. BTW, it doesn't leak thanks to the help of a little silicon. Mine is also about function over form, since it's ugly as hell to most!!
  10. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Well, you didn't get a lot of positive answerers, I have the factory rack on my Avalanche, probably the same one that is used on the crew cab in your photo.

Out of the box, it is probably too long for an extended cab.

However, the end piece only connect to the rails, the rails are pieces of extruded aluminum.

They can be cut to fit your roof.