1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rough Country 5"or 7.5" kit?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by chevymanlobo, Jan 3, 2011.

1. chevymanlobo

chevymanlobo New Member

im really thinking about getting one of the rough country kits. 5 or 7.5 on their website it says recomended tire size is 33 on the 5 inch and 35s on the 7.5 inch. My question is can i put 35s on the 5 inch and 37s on the 7.5? also the difference between the 2 because theyre the same price. If i can get a 5" and get 35s in it why get a 7.5 if all i have to get is 5? anyone have either of these kits and any comments??
  2. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member 100 Posts

I'll start off by saying that I'm a RC hater. I used their 3" kit and it was trash and so was their customer service. The RC 5" kit is a decent well thought out kit. The 7.5" kit is nothing more than the 5" kit with a larger strut spacer. So with the 7.5" kit you only have 5" of drop for your diff, etc., so all of your angles are maxed out with that kit. RC also has you cut off the droop stops with the 7.5" kit so the UCA's don't hit. And those rear "anti-wrap" blocks with the 7.5" are a little too tall. Bottom line, the 5" is okay but if someone gave me the 7.5" kit I would sell it and get something else.

As far as tires go, that depends on alot of things, like the width of the tires and the wheels they will go on. It also depends on how functional you wan the truck to be and what your tolerances are. The basic answer is yes 35's will fit with the 5" and 37's with the 7.5", but you will be cutting alot...probably metal. And if you get into any off camber situations they will still rub. These trucks have narrow wheel wells and just can't tolerate big tires like the older platforms. There is a reason I have 10" of lift and 35's.
  3. chevymanlobo

chevymanlobo New Member

yeah i understand. idk i just want a lift real bad but dont want to spend more than 1200$ in parts...
  4. Blackout07

The 5" is fine. You could do the 5" and a 3" body lift and be good to go for close to that price.
  5. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member 100 Posts

Yea, I have heard bad things about Rough Country. Though some people are still happy with them. You could look at a 3-4" Lift kit if your on a budget.
  6. chevymanlobo

chevymanlobo New Member

what kind of 4" do u recommend for 1000-1200$?
  7. Blackout07

I would rock a 3" body and a 2" leveling kit. You're talking around $500 for 5" of lift, less installation of course. I ran that combo when I first bought the truck and it was great. The only reason I changed is because I didn't listen to begin with....I wanted more lift! It's so much cheaper in the long run to go a little higher than you're comfortable with.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would save my money and get either a Rancho, Skyjacker or BDS kit. All three are VERY GOOD kits. Well engineered and made. I personally wouldn't put RoughCountry on a wheel barrow. Just my opinion. Also Blackout07, sweet truck!
  9. Blackout07

[​IMG]
  10. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

:rofl::rofl::rofl: