1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rough Country Leveling Kit Installation Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Dustin2798, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Dustin2798

Dustin2798 New Member

I just purchased a rough country leveling kit for my 04' Silverado 4x4, and just reading through the directions for install I have a question about sliding the tortion bars forward. Do you use the C-clamp or ball joint removal tool to load the tortion bars so you can remove the adjustment screw and the threaded block the sits in the crossmember? and if so do you release the clamp in order to be able to slide the tortion bar forward to replace the keys? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
  2. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I just did my 06. Do not use a C clamp as it is not strong enough. It could snap and you could get injured. I ended up buying the proper tool to do mine. I heard the ball joint tool works if you are careful but it could slip off. Once you get the block out release the tool and the torsion bar will be free. Not sure where you are located but i am in New England and rust was an issue so if that's the case, have some PB blaster handy and a hammer as you likely will have to beat the old keys off the torsion bar. That was the only trouble I had doing mine. Hope this helps. Brian
  3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I had to use a torch and a sledge to get my keys out...just try to heat the keys and NOT the bars