rough country lifts

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by runt_05, Oct 19, 2008.

1. runt_05

runt_05 New Member

ok guys im lookin at gettting a lift for my 98 gmc 4x4 and i was wondering what kind i should get. im not looking to spend a pile of money so i have been looking at the rough country lifts and i was wonering how good of a lift these really are. i have heard some good things and a few bad things but i cant really find out anything about the lifts on chevy's. any ideas

2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

im not a big rough country fan
    i would recomend pro comp, skyjacker,superlift

3. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

when i lift my truck (this time next year hopefuly) i'm going rough country. The only tihng i dont like about rough country is they dont have rear add-a-leafs, but i can fix that.

If you go with rough country, make sure you get those stabilizer bars. It's optional but it's almost a necessity.

4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

when i had my truck i was going to do rough country as well. they are the cheapest by far and other than the shocks you cannot go wrong with them. the shocks are awful i would recommend getting new ones if you go with RC

5. SilveradoBrett

SilveradoBrett Rockstar

I have not had the cash inflow to be able to buy a lift for my chevy yet, but I am hoping to be able to before the end of the year. I put a rough country suspension lift on my bronco and it works great, only problem was the installation. It was a real pain to instal the new c bushings on the radius arms as well as get the HUGE coils into the front end. The only thing I do not like about them is the blocks in the back, they are not very high performace for the suspension. I would have rather gotten an add a leaf or a lifted set of rearched springs. Are you looking to do just a "show" lift without getting a performance gain or are you looking for something that will help you go wheel? If you just want the look of a lifted truck and don't really care about the performace I would just do a good ol body lift. I have also never installed a lift kit on an IFS vehicle so I do not know the pain of putting one in. Are you planning on doing it yourself, or have someone else do it for you? I like the rough country I have, but I also do not use the shocks, I put pro comp shocks in because the lift jit I found did not have shocks included and from the sound of it that was probably for the best.

6. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i 100% agree i hate their shocks

go with rancho shocks :great:

7. runt_05

runt_05 New Member

we do plan on installing the lift ourselves..........i have found a rc lift that comes with an add-a-leaf ......for my truck at least

8. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i agree on the rancho shocks. i had the RS9000X on my truck and they were phenomenal. they rode like a cadillac and were 9 way adjustable. My brother had the RC shocks on his dodge and they rode like bricks and wore out in 3 months