1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rough Country or Rancho Suspension Lift

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by GrizzlyTN, May 3, 2012.

1. GrizzlyTN

GrizzlyTN Rockstar 100 Posts

Got a 2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 Package, 4x4 with factory Rancho shocks.

Trying to keep the dealership off my back I was considering getting a Rancho 4" suspension lift. WOW THAT IS EXPENSIVE!

Why is a Rough Country suspension lift 400 bucks and a Rancho suspension lift is 1400 bucks?
  2. GrizzlyTN

Not a single dude has a comment on here....I'm bout shocked lol
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

There is a reason for the price difference. I can't comment specifically on the RC but if you do a search on this site, you'll find many interesting comments. Also, along those same lines, do a search for Rancho and you will find it comes highly recommended. I have the Rancho and can tell you I am extremely satisfied with it. A solid kit, you actually get slightly over 5" of lift, great support, great reviews from commercial sites, magazines, etc.

You may also want to check Rancho's site for rebate details. Right now, they are offering up to $500 back for the kit and shocks. I took advantage of the $500 rebate offer when I purchased my kit and shocks off of Amazon (best price I could find and it included free shipping).

http://www.gorancho.com/promotions.php

I hope that helps!
  4. GrizzlyTN

mfleetwood you are always a help!

My silverado has the upgraded rancho suspension from the factory and I like the way it rides, smooth like a cadillac.

Keeping with Rancho, going with the 4" suspension lift, is the ride going to change much? My RC suspension lift was okay but definitely a hard ride.

I don't think I want to go with the Nitto Mud Grapplers 33's this time just because of loud ridenoise. (But they looked BADASS)

Do you think I could fit 20" Moto 951 rims, on 35's Nitto Trail Grapplers with the 4" Rancho Suspension Lift?

Or do you have any recommendations for nobby but quieter AT or MT?
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's difficult to tell the exact impact on the ride from the kit, as I changed the shocks and tires as well. However, I got the adjustable shocks and on the softer settings, my truck still rides really smooth. I think the ride feels very close to stock still. Even on the stiffer settings, the ride is great but it can hit pretty hard going over a pothole or something similar in nature....and the inside of my truck also creaks a little more as well.

I really like the look of the Nittos but am not sure of the road noise, handling, etc. Check out ajarman's threads and albums, as he has the Rancho lift and he had the Nittos at one time as well (I can't remember if they were M/Ts or not). He's does a good job at providing his thoughts regarding mods though, so should be a good source of perspective/info.

The overall diameter and width of the tire along with rim backspace/offset will determine whether or not that rim/tire set up will fit. For me, I am still using my stock 17" rims with the factory offset/backspace and my tires fit without rubbing at all, but it is extremely close. If you are planning on getting your tires from a local shop, have them mount up a couple of different sizes before you buy them. Since you'll be spending a ton of $$ on tires, they should be more that happy to help you find the right tire size (that's what the shop did for me where I purchased my tires...and it was on their recommendation).

Lastly, I've only had BFG A/Ts so I can only provide you my thoughts on them. I think they are extremely quite, handle well, and last a long time relatively speaking. Because I have been so happy with them, I've never felt the need to try another set of tires.
  6. Mersch

Mersch New Member

I agree I love my rancho suspension. I have never rode in one with Rough Country but I hear good things. My 07 has a Rancho lift and it rides very nice. I have 35 x 12.5 Terra Grapplers now. I didn't buy it however it came when i purchased it on a private sale. The seller stated he spent around 2k on the install. GMC Profile.jpg
  7. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:glasses: I too.... will put my experience and backing behind Rancho,,, I have used it personally for over twenty years, and installed many Rancho products..
    There are some other very good lift kits out there depending on the intended use of the truck, and Make of truck.. so most defiantly shop around and learn every thing you can about all of them before you make a final decision .......
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Of the two you named I would also say go with Rancho. That is what I wanted to get but when I called about a kit for my 11' they said they didn't have a kit for it yet. This was march of 11'. So I went with a level kit instead.
    You asked why the difference in price. The answer is R&D. The Rancho kit is a well thought out kit. The only thing it is missing is shocks. They do this so you get what you want as far as shocks go. I have said it many times before on this site. You get what you pay for. Some things you just shouldn't cheap out on and to me if a suspension upgrade is what you want than you should actually upgrade and not just change it.
  9. SierraBomber

SierraBomber New Member

Rims

Hey Mersch, like the truck. Looking to do the same. Already have the lift just trying to decide on rims/tires. How do your 35s fit? Is there a buch of trimming that had to be done? I would like to run those tires in the same size but with the ATX Artillery in an 18x9. They hae a 4.53 inch backspace with a -12 offset. Do you think I can get those to fit without trimming a ton? Any help would be appreciated.
  10. GrizzlyTN

My new Z71 came with Rancho shocks upgrade with the All Star package, I can't see what model the shocks are though.

I'm wanting to lift this one too, I had a 3.5" Rough Country before and had no problems, but I would like to spend a little extra money and get the customization "MyRide" 4"Rancho suspension lift that is adjustable with remote.

Any of yall have that on your rigs already?