1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rough Idle...No Codes

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Seany Z, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Seany Z

Seany Z New Member

i have a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab w/ 5.3 ltr V8. I took it in to the shop for rough idle. They claim no codes came up therefore no issue. Anyone experiencing this issue? Any input of what it may be?
    Vehicle has 28,000+ on it. Getting ready for a trip so i'd like to remedy this issue asap.

Thanks fellas
    Sean
  2. 04-silverado

04-silverado Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a similar problem (see this topic) on an '04, 1500, 2WD, 4.8L, that had 97Kmiles on it when I recently bought it.

I cleaned the MAF sensor (refer to the linked post) and the Throttle body... also replaced the PLUGS and checked resistance of the wires (which otherwise appeared to be in good condition). After doing all of this (pretty cheaply at that)... the "rough idle" with no codes being present eventually went away.

Hope you have similar luck...
  3. lfb57

lfb57 New Member

I have an '09 with the 5.3 and less than 10,000 miles. At times my engine will lope at idle. No other problems that I am aware of.
  4. Seany Z

Seany Z New Member

thanks guys.....I'm gonna have a friend of mine perform BG fuel system cleaning...Dealer wants $119.00, claims he can do it for the cost fo the kit.
  5. pvcableguy

pvcableguy New Member

do you use 87 or 89 octane gas?....and where are you buying it from??.....my '07 silverado 4.8 liter idles ruff on 87 octane gas.......try a full tank of 89 from chevron or mobil......it will humm at idle.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

i forgot to say in my last post......these newer trucks like 89 octane gas.....i have a '06 2500HD work truck 6.0 liter motor....it also idles ruff on '87 gas......you will be fine on ur road trip man.....use 89 grade ;)
  6. mus99gt

mus99gt Rockstar 100 Posts

I have noticed my 2010 5.3 Flex Fuel motor in the morning does the same thing. I noticed it the day I test drove it, but it cleared up almost immediately. If I let it sit until the rpm drops back down from a cold startup, it is not that bad. I have been running Sunoco 87, but I think I will try the 89 to see how it does when I am done with this tank.

Thanks for the tip.
  7. 04-silverado

Interesting!

The owners manual in my truck's glove compartment clearly states that, with the exception of the "SS" model, 87 Octane is recommended for those vehicles which use gasoline. For the "SS" model, 91 Octane is recommended.

If I am going to have to run 89 Octane, in order to obtain a smooth idle, then GM needs to rewrite (and send notices to every truck owner as well) their specs. In my area, 89 Octane costs a minimum of $0.10/gallon more than regular unleaded... and in many cases it is more than a $0.10 difference. After doing what I did (and referenced in a previous reply)... every once in a great while, as I am sitting at a stop light, the idle will "stumble", but only briefly. So, I won't resort to 89 Octane unless it becomes problematic (and can be cured no other way). Every 3rd fill-up, I've been adding the recommended amount of SeaFoam (to mitigate moisture problems which using 10% ethanol fuel only serves to exacerbate, and to ensure a clean fuel system and injectors).

All of the above aside... thanks for adding your experiences to this thread!
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. Seany Z

Seany Z New Member

I do run either sunoco 87 or Hess 87 octane. I live in albany NY and i'm going to New Hampshire this w/e for NASCAR race and i'll be sure to try 89. i'll post an update when i return. Thanks for all the tips fellas.
  9. eyegore

eyegore Rockstar 100 Posts

Got this the other day when mine was in for the same thing.............again!
    I think if you click on image and then "save image as" you should be able to enlarge it enough to read.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  10. 04-silverado

Hey, thanks for sharing!

Well, isn't that special? GM puts out vehicles costing $30K and much more... which are many decades advanced from their predecessors... and with all this advanced technology... they idle like crap?!