1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rough Idle

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tigersdl65, Jun 28, 2012.

1. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 New Member

Hi guys! My 96 silverado has started having problems this week. When I stop at a light or a sign the idle gets down around 500 rpm and the truck starts to shake. It won't choke down when you get on the gas but it won't immediatley take off like normal either, and after it goes from a stop it i fine, there is no problem as long as you aren't on the brakes at a stop. When I shift to neutral it smooths out but if i shift to reverse it is just as bad, and in park it is sometimes shakey and at low rpm. The truck had done this once before for about 30 minutes every time I would stop but I thought nothing of it since it stopped. Its at 115,000 miles by the way.

Any thoughts on a diagnosis and solutions to this problem?
    if you need anymore explanation just ask.
  2. dpeter

dpeter Member

You may have a leaking power booster or vacume line to it if it coincides with using the brake at idle.
  3. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 New Member

It was the vacuum hose.
  4. dpeter

dpeter Member

Just gotta like the easy ones. Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.