1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rough Ride and winding noise

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bsparky, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bsparky

bsparky New Member

I have a 2006 Silverado LS with approx. 21,000 miles, I purchased the truck used about a month ago.

My problems or concerns are this:

1) The truck seems to ride really rough, when I go over any bumps at any speed (on local roads and highway) the truck seems to have a shimmy,shake and somewhat of a bounce to it which is becoming very annoying. The truck has new Cooper tires and I thought that maybe the tires were out of balance but I had them re-balanced and it didn't change anyhting. Any ideas?

2)The truck seems to have a winding noise coming from the drivetrain somewhere. Don't hear it at idle but as soon as you start moving it gradually gets louder and louder.

I do have warranty left on the truck but before I go to the dealer to get the runaround I figured I would ask here first. Thanks Guys....
  2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

my guess is to change the shocks and get the front end bushings checked out, but not sure about the winding noise hopefully someone can help you
  3. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

As far as the rough ride goes, I know exactly what you're talking about. My truck was doing the same thing. I started by replacing the shocks, which didn't do much for the bounce, but helped the overall handling and feel of the truck. Then, I did like you did and had the wheels balanced and rotated, which didn't do much of anything. My last step, which helped dramatically was a sway bar bushing and end-link kit from Energy Suspension. It was about $40 after tax and shipping and took about 2 hours to instally myself. Go to www.energysuspensionparts.com to check it out. I think AutoZone carries Energy Suspension products as well, so you may check them out if you're interested. Let me know if you have any questions about it. Good luck!
  4. bsparky

bsparky New Member

Thanks guys

I will look into the sway bar bushing kit. Anything will help, the truck doesn't ride bad until I hit a highway with alot of bad joints going across it. Then the bouncy pulsating sensation starts. It gets very annoying after a bit. Did this sway bar bushing kit help alot?
  5. MWright936

Yes, it made a big difference. I'm glad it did too, because I was running out of ideas, haha.
  6. bsparky

bsparky New Member

Thanks, I think I'm going to get it and try it out. I think I'm going to get a new set of Monroe shocks as well, couldn't hurt I guess. By the way nice rig..
  7. MWright936

Thanks! I'm in the running for ROTM this month....hint hint ;-)
    Looks like you've got a nice ride as well!

One tip I have on the install, which is a good idea for anything really, is not to tighten anything down until everything is in place. You do one side at a time (per the directions), and I made the mistake of snugging up the first side before I had the other end-link in place. Well, I had to go back and loosen it up so I could get it in there. It's a tight fit, even without things tightened down. I wished I had a third arm at times, but it really wasn't very difficult overall. Good luck!

P.S. Be sure to use the included lube on all the bushings. I've been told polyurethane bushings can squeak really bad if not properly lubed. I used it during my install and I haven't heard a single squeak.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. bsparky

bsparky New Member

Thanks for all of your help, I have done quite a few upgrades and it is always much easier doing it the second time, especially when you are turned upside down with your arms twisted in positions you never thought they could go. I bought this truck and it had everything on it except power windows and door locks, well me not being afraid to do anything I purchased aftermarket power doorlocks and windows, installed them and they work great! I just ordered the stuff and look forward to installing it, I think I might buy some new monroe shocks as well.