1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rough ride

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bowwow, Aug 23, 2009.

1. bowwow

bowwow New Member

New to forum. I have a Sierra 99 1500 great truck. When I hit bumps in the road it really sounds and feels rough I think it's maybe just a shock issue but was wondering if there is any bushings or springs that could cause this. I've never replaced the shocks and honestly never had a rough ride until now l don't haul any loads or tow with it. Any comments or information wold be helpfull. Thannks very much.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So the ride changed suddenly? Have you done anything to the tires? Check the pressure.
  3. bowwow

bowwow New Member

thanks for the response , it did not really just come on quickly I gave a bad impression on that, it's taken a few months and I think it just got gradually worse until I woke up and finally realized how bad it was. But I did ckeck the tire press and it's fine. I'm going to check the shocks and see how they are. I just finished replacing a broken emer brake cable and putting on new calipers and rotors on the back. and trying to fix my Daughter's 04 Tahoe a/c problem the blower only runs on position 5, positions 1-2-3-4 don't work I think it needs a blower resistor so I'll give that a shot and see if it fixes that. thanks again.
  4. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Mine had the same problem, something in the road like a patch or something and it was loud and unacceptably rough. Got my lift kit put on and the new shocks that came with it, and smooth as butter. It's probably your shocks.
  5. bowwow

bowwow New Member

That sounds good to me and thank you very much for the update I appreciate it. Is there any certain size I should look at. I've never used a lift kit before so any info would be helpful, and how hard to install are they. Thanks again
  6. mrfixdit

mrfixdit Rockstar 100 Posts

riding rough

You also might want to check the stabiliser bar mountings and ends.
  7. bowwow

bowwow New Member

Thanks I'll do that.
  8. Yeah and the torsion bars they might be a little tight
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You don't have to install a lift kit to get new shocks.
  10. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah I was just saying that I got new shocks with my kit. Just new shocks in your case will solve your problem unless of course you want to lift it. If not just get stock sized shocks, I would reccomend bilsteins.