1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rough shifting

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sierra11, Aug 1, 2012.

1. sierra11

sierra11 Member

My transmission has been showing signs that its getting worn out by slipping every now and then, but this morning I drove it about 200 hundred yards and it was jerking me bad. I went back home cause I didn't want to get stranded somewhere. This afternoon I tried to drive it again and its like nothing happened. How can it be that bad and then be fine again?
  2. sierra11

sierra11 Member

It ended up being water in the fuel but he suggested a transmission flush. He said it was about 200, is that a fair price?
  3. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

200 for a trans flush is high. about 89 dollars is standard rate at non dealer shops.
    Water in fuel just add heet
  4. sierra11

sierra11 Member

$90 is that including replacing the filter?
  5. Skippy

Skippy Member

You're mixing Transmission Flush with Transmission Maintenance. In a flush, only the fluid is drawn out and replaced. This is what is commonly performed at places like Jiffy Lube or Einstein Oilery. They'll tout how a full flush replaces all the fluid. It's true, it does... but unless you need to do that, the standard maintenance schedule just requires dropping the pan, replacing the filter and putting 4-6 new quarts in.

When you do the maintenance, only about 4-6 quarts are drained (out of 12-18) when the pan is dropped. The filter is changed during the maintenance. Personally, I don't do transmission maintenance without a filter replacement. If that thing gets clogged, you're hosed no matter how much you change the fluid. It's there for a reason, and that reason is to keep particles out of the fluid and from between the clutches.

If he's doing a full transmission flush AND dropping the pan, I'd say $200 is about right. Make sure you get the new Dexron VI. It's outstanding.

If it's one or the other, $90-$140 is common for shops and quick-lube joints. The exception would be if you're taking it to a dealership. Hard to say how high they'll take the charges!