Round 1 is over on my Suburban "fix up" and boy am I glad...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 80 grit, Feb 1, 2011.

  1. 80 grit

    80 grit Rockstar

    ..Glad it is over for two reasons. First my limited funds were squeezed dry and second, my bones aint what they used to be. There was a time when hours spent contorted in an engine compartment or under a wheel well would not mean a thing but now that I am half way to 88 I sure feel it the next day.

    Bought some flow tech headers but decided to send them back. The tech guy at Holly said they only sell oval port headers and my burb has D ports (square) and no matter how much I tried to convince myself to put them on I just couldn't accept the fact that I'd be changing gaskets within a few weeks. There was literally only an 1/8" of gasket that would seal to the manifold. Decided to go with Hookers and they also were oval ports when I was expecting squares........but at least they included a very nice gasket and I wasn't about to send back another set.

    Got some bends made at the local muffler shop and as you guessed it had to make four trips back for that "finess bend" only to hear the owner repeat, over and over, "that's why you should have drove it up here in the first place". I used my brakes as a legit exuse as they were taken apart.

    Got the exhaust together, sounds real nice. Real throaty whith rpms but real mellow at idle (basic flowmaster mufflers) and of course I cut out the cats. Installed some russel stainless steel brake lines, a new 3 core radiator, new sound system, new brakes and drums in rear.

    Next up is a sand down of the paint, install of Bushwacker cut out flares (plan on some big tires in the near future), body lift and poly body mount kit replacement. Ordered a textured bull bar from ionic and some KC 130 watt daylighters for the front and I will be powdercoating the front bumper black along with painting the stock grill black. The back bumper will get the most attention by either making one or getting one that I can include a swing out can carrier and swing out tire carrier. Safari roof rack with a black powder coated RV roof latter. Complete window tint, and from the trim line down rhino liner.

    Here is a link to some of the pics from round 1. When I get more money and time (who knows how long that will be...) I will post up round 2. Good night to all. suburban/
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. 80 grit

    80 grit Rockstar

    All the feedback and input is overwhelming guys....

    DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

    yhahahahaha...we are stunned..LOL

    NO, seriously looks good !!!!

    Why did you go with drum in the back instead of DISC ?
  4. MitchellB

    MitchellB New Member

    Congratulations on the progress. Looks good so far. Good luck.
  5. 80 grit

    80 grit Rockstar

    I started out by trying to use the original drums...and keep it cheap...but in the end I needed new drums. I also figured the disc changeover would be more expensive and I am on a very tight budget on this one. Thanks for the replies.
  6. dsfloyd

    dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

    looks good

    DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

    Change over from drum to about 1K =/- 200 max !!!! if you think about it its well worth it , the drum brakes suck and by the time you do it and buy all the parts your almost there. Just sayin.....
  8. phoebeisis

    phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    Very NICE!
    Heck I get tired just READING about all that work.
    I have a starter I need to change, but I'm so lazy I'm waiting until the weather improves(probably means I'll be doing it in some parking lot at night!)
  9. racekid91

    racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

    In for the progress. Looks like you have a good start.
  10. 80 grit

    80 grit Rockstar

    Thanks guys. I am about ready to take off the bumpers and trim...and start sanding. I returned the bushwacker cut outs as I decided against cutting into the body.


    I didn't really spend much on the rebuild of the drums. Even with the new drums it was around 300. At this point every dollar counts. One day I am going to search for a new rearend and when that day comes I will make sure to go with the discs.

    Found an older gentleman who is retired and he happens to be an aluminum welding genius. I am going to try to pursuade him to make me a nice safari rack for the roof!

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos