Royal Purple 5w-30 motor oil?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by JRD761, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I usually use Mobil 1 5w-30 motor oil, but I need to get an oil change this week and I don't see any of my local retailers with any specials on the oil.. (It's $7 per quart out here, then about another $8 for the oil filter.. ouch!)

But, I did find a coupon for Pep Boys where they have 5 Quarts of Royal Purple oil and a Royal Purple oil filter for $45.

Is Royal Purple okay for regular cars? Is it okay to go back to Mobil 1 for the next oil change? I've only seen Royal Purple used in my family's race cars.. I don't know how well it works for regular cars..

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It works great in your regular car as well. and it is a synthetic so if you are running mobil1 synthetic then yes on the next change it is just fine to switch back to mobil1.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what murdog94 said. No problem switching back.

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've been using RP in mine after the first oil change. $45 is a very good buy, especially with a filter!

5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don't do it! Mobil 1 is a better oil and offers better protection than RP. If Mobil 1 costs more spend the money. Every piece of testing data I have ever seen shows RP to break down fast and is not very shear stable. Of coarse I would rather see you use AMSOIL but if you are making a discussion between those two oil's Mobil 1 wins hands down.

6. KrazyKowboy

KrazyKowboy New Member

Not to hi-jack your post X but I just bought a used truck and I'm not sure what kind of oil they put in when they changed it. Everyone tells me I should go Mobile 1, would there be any reason I shouldn't switch when I change it? I come from a farming/ranching family and we have always used Penzoil but all my buddies freak out on me when I tell them haha

7. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Put it this way if you go to a junk yard and ask what the piles of engines are they will tell you one is a Penzoil and another is a Quaker State pile of engines. You can't even put those 2 oils I mentioned in the same sentence as products like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Go with the Mobil 1 or move further up the quality ladder to Amsoil. some less quality oils use paraffin's and that is what generates sludge.

8. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I prefer Amsoil. We use Mobil 1 synthetic at work. I've never cared for RP.

1st synthetics, this relates more about the "Preferred Customers". I just pay for the 1 year membership deal and then get 25% off my purchases? If so, I'll be doing that instead of buying it in town.

9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Mobil 1 is what i use and would only use Amsoil as an alternative.Amsoil would be my 1st choice but it's hard to get here.