1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Royal Purple 5w-30 motor oil?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by JRD761, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I usually use Mobil 1 5w-30 motor oil, but I need to get an oil change this week and I don't see any of my local retailers with any specials on the oil.. (It's $7 per quart out here, then about another $8 for the oil filter.. ouch!)

But, I did find a coupon for Pep Boys where they have 5 Quarts of Royal Purple oil and a Royal Purple oil filter for $45.

Is Royal Purple okay for regular cars? Is it okay to go back to Mobil 1 for the next oil change? I've only seen Royal Purple used in my family's race cars.. I don't know how well it works for regular cars..
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It works great in your regular car as well. and it is a synthetic so if you are running mobil1 synthetic then yes on the next change it is just fine to switch back to mobil1.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what murdog94 said. No problem switching back.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've been using RP in mine after the first oil change. $45 is a very good buy, especially with a filter!
  5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don't do it! Mobil 1 is a better oil and offers better protection than RP. If Mobil 1 costs more spend the money. Every piece of testing data I have ever seen shows RP to break down fast and is not very shear stable. Of coarse I would rather see you use AMSOIL but if you are making a discussion between those two oil's Mobil 1 wins hands down.
  6. KrazyKowboy

KrazyKowboy New Member

Not to hi-jack your post X but I just bought a used truck and I'm not sure what kind of oil they put in when they changed it. Everyone tells me I should go Mobile 1, would there be any reason I shouldn't switch when I change it? I come from a farming/ranching family and we have always used Penzoil but all my buddies freak out on me when I tell them haha
  7. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Put it this way if you go to a junk yard and ask what the piles of engines are they will tell you one is a Penzoil and another is a Quaker State pile of engines. You can't even put those 2 oils I mentioned in the same sentence as products like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Go with the Mobil 1 or move further up the quality ladder to Amsoil. some less quality oils use paraffin's and that is what generates sludge.
  8. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I prefer Amsoil. We use Mobil 1 synthetic at work. I've never cared for RP.

1st synthetics, this relates more about the "Preferred Customers". I just pay for the 1 year membership deal and then get 25% off my purchases? If so, I'll be doing that instead of buying it in town.
  9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Mobil 1 is what i use and would only use Amsoil as an alternative.Amsoil would be my 1st choice but it's hard to get here.