RPM Tick

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 18BKLR, Jan 23, 2009.

1. 18BKLR

18BKLR New Member

I realize the chevy tick tick has been beat to death. So here is one to make you think a little. I have an 06 silver with 40000 miles on it. Runs strong, pulls great, rides nice. Great vehicle. Recently i have noticed a knock or tick coming in at 2000 to 2500 rpm's. Anything before is fine anything after is fine. Seems to have some kind of a small vibration a tad under 2000 then the tick starts. I was thinking exhaust or something small like that. Took it to dealership, nothing found. They checked for exhaust leaks, checked flywheel, all of the simple stuff. Nothing found. (I am currently out of town so it will go to my hometown dealership when I get home. can't let them rip her open here or I won't get home for a while.) Anyway, strange sound happening at a strange point in the rpm range. You can go down the highway and she purrs like a sweet kitty, you punch it and you get around 2000 to 2500 and tick tick tick. Any thoughts.....
  2. 18BKLR

18BKLR New Member

Anyone have a thought??
  3. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

Is this a "Tick Tick" like a valve or lifter tick? That type of sound? Could be a lifter that has a issue with pumping up in this RPM range and then it fills and goes to town after? Vibration, hows the harmonic balancer? Does it look like the two halfs are in line with each other? I mean the seal between the two halfs and they are not offset or out of alignment? Well, this is one of those that are great to try and find and diagnose, hope to hear about the outcome.....

Jeff
  4. mrfixdit

mrfixdit New Member

Does this happen in neutral, and in every gear, even reverse?
  5. 18BKLR

18BKLR New Member

I do have it in all gears. Forward and reverse as well as neutral. You put the truck in park, rev to 2 grand and away she goes. Seems like it is pretty mechanical. I would think a lifter we would hear all the time. Even in the higher range. When you are going through the gears it will go through the r's in first pretty fast so you do not get a chance to hear it then when she drops back down to 2nd and you sit her at 2000 to 2500 tick tick tick. I will be heading home here this week and as soon as I get there it will go right to the dealership. They are either going to fix the tick or put a new motor in it. I am not going to put up with the service manager BS. You know we do have rights as owners. It has to be something mechanical and internal. I was under it with the tech at the dealership in the town I am in and I could not find anything loose or anything. Things that make you go hummm..
  6. mrfixdit

mrfixdit New Member

gm tick

Check the belt for separation of plys or a flap. You would probably hear a belt problem at any RPM but you never know with centifugal forces, its worth a quick check.
  7. 18BKLR

18BKLR New Member

I will check the belt. That is a good idea. I just can't figure why the noise is present in that range and if it is internal and if it is something that is somewhat of a major problem then why is my power not effected at all and why at low rpm and idle it's good and at hight rpm running it hard no sound. . . This one is a strange one. No codes or anything. Internal knock or smack would throw a code with the knock sensor circuit correct... Who knows. .
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

I know that others have mentioned that the earlier 99 to maybe 2002 5.3 s had some sort of tick slap sound that drove people crazy. I seem to remember reading that it was because carbon built up above the compression ring because it"was too low on the piston." It wasn't getting exposed to enough heat so mixture than made it there would sort of condense out and slowly form carbon.The GM cure was to raise the rings on later 5.3's.

I have no idea if this is the correct explanation of this problem, but this was the most plausible thing I read. I think GM cured it around 2003? but not sure on that.

I doubt this is your problem, but worth a thought. On the bright side the problem didn't hurt the longevity of the motors, but pissed a lot of owners off since it sounded 'bad" like piston slap was what I read-not so much a ticking noise.

Luck,
    Charlie
  9. jchambers849

jchambers849 New Member

Rod bearing going perhaps? I had a tick tick at about the same RPM's in any gear in a Dodge Dakota. It was diagnosed as a rod bearing spun... I was told it would last either 10 miles or 100,000 miles... I traded it a few days later.
  10. 18BKLR

18BKLR New Member

Update. Took her to the dealership and they say it is coming from the valve train. Just curious to know if I should push for a new motor here under warranty or what. They are going to tear it down and see if it is a lifter or if it is a valve or what. I am just not to sure if I want them in there and then I have to turn around and be satisified with what they did. And if it is a lifter or a valve what else is jacked up in there. Anyway, that is the update anyone that has an opinion let me know. Is this what GM does, tear it apart and fix it or should they be pulling the motor and replacing that. . .
  11. sask boy

sask boy New Member

Hi, I owned a 01 chevy with a Chevy tick(5.3). When they finally found the problem it was a piston slap. I was advised by my brother-in-law who is JM for 30 years skirts to short. I had warranty coveage they replaced the pisons, rings and bearings.
    My best friend bought the truck from me 5 years ago and it now has over 200,000 kms no more problems.
  12. 18BKLR

18BKLR New Member

Update again... Here we go with GM. The SM states that they have ruled out everything that the gm tech support has stated to do. So they have taken the belt off, tick still there, they say not the transmission, not the valve train, not the pistons. They are going to take off the oil pan in the morning and check the oil pump. I guess from what the SM says they have to go through all the hoops with the tech support until they give the ok to tear it down. I stated to the SM that if they tear it down they had better put a new motor in it. I do not want something that has an unknown sound in it that has been torn down and "fixed". I told her that if they tear it down it had better get a new motor. I am not sure if they have the know how or the resources i.e. clean shop to do a complete rebuild. I would think GM would say put a motor in it. Does anyone have any experience with all of this on GM's side. I thought by 06 they had this piston slap thing fixed. The wife's Tahoe it a 06 and you can pop the hood on hers while running and you can't even tell it is running. My truck idles and sounds like a duramax. They you rev to 2300 and it ticks like a bad out of hell... I guess i'll know something tomorrow. SM says that that is the last thing to check from GM then it is tear down time. Wonder what they'll find??
  13. jchambers849

jchambers849 New Member

Fixing valve's, lifters, etc, isn't that major and probaby hasn't effected the rest of the motor. It's not necessary to replace the motor if they "tear down" the top end. I've done the top end of many motors with valve ticks or lifter noise and then run 'em for 100k + with no issues. If they do tap into the top of the motor, they'll have to replace seals, etc anyways, even if they find no issue there. Win-win in your situation. You could push for a new motor but chances are you'll never get it. Keep us updated.
  14. 05azsilver

05azsilver New Member

I would call GM directly (800-222-1020) see what they say. In my experience they override what the dealership says, i.e. if dealer says no about a repair, GM says YES!
  15. 18BKLR

18BKLR New Member

So I just talked to the dalership. Seems they jumped through all the hoops that GM said to, here is what we found. Bad Cam. The lobe on #3 was flat. So here is our fix. Replace cam and 1 lifter. That is it. I am pretty disappointed in GM for this fix. You mean to tell me I am going to have a new cam with old lifters riding on it. 40,000 miles and they are going to do a new cam and I can't get a new timing chain that is obviously a little stretched. So what does a guy do here. I am all about the warranty the 5 year 100000 is great. I will reach my 5 year long before I get to my 100000 mile mark. I don't drive it much, company truck gets all the miles. I am not to happy to have a new cam with all old parts except 1 lifter. I am not to happy they have had this thing all apart checking rod bearings and everything else and they expect me to get this thing back and not think about all the crap they did to it and I am supposed to be happy. Not to sure if I am. So do push for a longer warranty or do I tell them I am pissed and I want to trade or what. I want to run this thing 200k, that is what I do with chevy but after all this I am pretty disappointed.. What do you think??
  16. 18BKLR

18BKLR New Member

OK so here we go. The shop foreman at the dealership said that he would never do a new cam with old lifters. Good sign for me. They say I can have it back on Friday. Seems out of the whole deal I get new lifters, new cam, new seals, new timing chain and done deal. I am pretty anxious to hear it run. What do you guys think as in problems in the future with this thing. I would say that if something is going to happen it would be happening pretty quick. The Head tech told me that since 1999 when the 5.3 hit the streets he has never replaced a cam shaft for a flat spot. Pretty strange deal though. I would of thought it would of been noticable all the time with a flat spot but I suppose it depends on where it was at on the lobe. I told him that I want to see the cam. I want to know where that spot it as. I mean I had no misfires, nothing. Just the tick. Anybody out there have cam problems with this motor?? Just a fluke I guess. Very strange though. Not to sure why GM had them pulling rod bearing caps and all that. The Tech did tell me that he was there when the guy pulled the rod caps and he said the bottom end looked like it was brand new. No tarnish nothing. So they tell me this motor is bulletproof. True or not. The 5.7 was a good motor. I ran one almost 200k and it was still strong. Had to do the spyder assembly at 80000 but after that was still running strong when I traded it for next to nothing. Seems that is what they are worth these days at the steelerships. Anyway, Let me know what all you guys have to say. Bad cam in 5.3... weird