1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

RPO codes and door sticker don't match up - tire size

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by McClintoc, Aug 11, 2013.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I just went out to my truck and took pictures of my RPO code sticker inside the glove box and the door sticker inside the driver's door. I saved them to computer for my own record keeping and then found a 188-page document that translates all GM RPO codes. I found a discrepancy between mine. There are four RPO codes on my truck that all say my truck came with 235/65-16 tires. My OE tires were replaced long ago but I want to say they were 245/65-16s. I just replaced the spare this past December and I do remember that being a 235. The odd thing is, the sticker inside the driver's door (that also recommends the air pressure) says right on it "245/65-16". So, why the difference between the RPO codes and the door sticker? Which one is correct and is it common for them be different?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

So what was the RPO you found on the glove box sticker?

Maybe one of the free VIN sites would answer the question.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

For tires to be different than the RPO code isnt uncommon.
    Take a look at most Texas Edition trucks, the RPO code for the tires rarely matchs since a lot of regional package changes are done after the fact at a regional prep center prior to dealer delivery.
    Look at the Arlington truck plant sometime, they dont produce Texas Edition trucks, they leave the factory with tires sized to a specific factory package then if its part of a regional package the tires and wheels might be changed.
  4. McClintoc

I checked several of those RPO codes sites. All I found was translation for the codes but not any explanation as to why the door sticker and the RPO codes don't match.

I'm not sure any special edition trucks existed back in 2001. If they did, I know my truck isn't one of them.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

The dealer may have switched them. It happens all the time. Maybe someone wanted the brand of tires that your truck had on it.
  6. RayVoy

I agree completely, that by the time the dealer/customer gets the truck, the tires could be different from the tires it left the factory wearing, but the RPO sticker and the tire sticker should have matched when it left the plant.

I don't know what GM wants the contractor to do when the tires are changed as part of an after market package. I suspect, the 3rd party contractor would be expected to update the door sticker with the correct tire info. In this case, it probably would not match the RPO code.

I know that, I just wanted to know what tirew RPO you had on the glove box sticker.

This happens all the time, maybe the original owner didn't want the tires the truck came with.

And perhaps, when this happens the dealer updates the door sticker with the correct tire info.
  7. McClintoc

The RPO codes (relating to tires) on my truck are as follows:

QNG: all tires, P235/75R16-106S WOL R/PE ST TL ALS
    XNG: front tires, P235/75R16-106S WOL R/PE ST TL ALS
    YNG: rear tires, P235/75R16-106S WOL R/PE ST TL ALS
    ZNG: spare tire, P235/75R16-106S WOL R/PE ST TL ALS
  8. RayVoy

Thanks, and the mystery deepens, haha.