1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

RT Turn Signal and Dome Light not working, blamed on aftermarket radio?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by MexTex, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MexTex

MexTex New Member

I had an aftermarket Kenwood Excelon Navigation unit installed on my 2011 GMC Sierra truck. A few months later I had a local dealership install the alarm system. About a month ago, I started having an issue where my right front blinker and dome lights would not turn on. I checked the fuses and bulbs but all were good to go. A couple of days later everything started working again, but the following day no dice. I took the truck to the dealership and after a week they said that it was probably due to the new stereo that was installed. They said that most people don't know this but the factory radio has a lot of programming stored internally that the truck uses for various operations :no:. Now I have never heard of that and I have never had any issues with aftermarket radios. What do you guys think? Alarm system? They said that they ordered in another ECM and disconnected the alarm, but all it did was short out the new ECM.
  2. dobey

dobey Member

The dome light and turn signal really don't have anything to do with the radio; outside of the fact that the BCM plays the signal chime through the radio.

Do you have any of the radio or alarm wiring spliced into the fuse panel with one of those connectors that slips on one of the fuse blades? It could create an extra power draw that is causing problems for those lights, or creating an issue in the BCM wiring. I have seen such issues before in other vehicles.