Rubbing noise in left rear wheel

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by rs6er, Dec 30, 2010.

1. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

Since I recently bled my brakes, I have been hearing a rotation rubbing noise from the left rear wheel of my 2001 Suburban 1500. Yesterday I pulled the caliper and looked inside of the rear rotor/drum because I couldn't see anything obvious.

I could see a shiny spot on the inside of the rotor and on the parking brake shoe. It seemed that that the rotor was hitting the shoe at a point in its rotation. I fiddled with the shoe to make it more axle-centric. I also made sure that the rotor backing plate which is only a year old was not hitting anything and checked that its tabs were bent in properly.

To test my work, I put the caliper back on the hub, and with the truck in neutral, rotated the hub. At one point in the rotation, I am getting a metallic ping. I can't figure out what this is by inspection. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone make an updated brake shoe that attaches in 2 rather than 1 place? This design is so lame.

2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Could it possibly be that the rotor is warped slightly??

3. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

I have since taken it apart. The problem is that the parking brake shoes are rubbing on the inside of the rotor. I can't seem to fix this.