Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rubbing noise in left rear wheel

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by rs6er, Dec 30, 2010.

1. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

Since I recently bled my brakes, I have been hearing a rotation rubbing noise from the left rear wheel of my 2001 Suburban 1500. Yesterday I pulled the caliper and looked inside of the rear rotor/drum because I couldn't see anything obvious.

I could see a shiny spot on the inside of the rotor and on the parking brake shoe. It seemed that that the rotor was hitting the shoe at a point in its rotation. I fiddled with the shoe to make it more axle-centric. I also made sure that the rotor backing plate which is only a year old was not hitting anything and checked that its tabs were bent in properly.

To test my work, I put the caliper back on the hub, and with the truck in neutral, rotated the hub. At one point in the rotation, I am getting a metallic ping. I can't figure out what this is by inspection. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone make an updated brake shoe that attaches in 2 rather than 1 place? This design is so lame.

2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Could it possibly be that the rotor is warped slightly??

3. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

I have since taken it apart. The problem is that the parking brake shoes are rubbing on the inside of the rotor. I can't seem to fix this.