1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rubbing when loaded !

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by artie in miami, Nov 2, 2009.

1. artie in miami

artie in miami New Member

I am the proud posessor of two totally restored Suburbans (1990,1986)...I have noticed with the 1990 GMC 2500 that when I put lumber in the back and try to back up an incline, something on the drive train rubs on the sheet metal of the body. It sounds like the springs are worn out...I got the truck from the cadillac dealer in Miami and I guess they hauled lots of weight with it. If I got the shocks with the springs wrapped around the outside...would that correct it ? Or do I need to replace the springs ? I notice "lift kits" offered online...is that an acceptable option ? I plan on towing my 25' fishing boat with this truck, so I need it to be able to handle the tongue weight. How can I determine what the ideal tongue weight should be for something like this ? Is tongue weight the same for all trailers or does it vary. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    The guy that I bought my '86 from let the salesman talk him into a 411 rear end when he ordered it brand new...the salesman told him he would need that for towing. It has so much torque that it can give you whiplash when you jab the gas and then let it go ! The gas mileage on that one is really terrible.

artie in miami
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You may just need to replace the springs or the spring hanger bushings. Load it up good with weight and crawl under it looking for touching/rubbing parts.