1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rumbling/groaning

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by jay2dc, Jun 9, 2010.

1. jay2dc

jay2dc New Member

So today i drove the equinox around town quite a fair deal. by the end of the day late at night there was a very distinct and audible rumbling/groaning sort of noise coming from the front center area under my car.

It was raining all day today, and the only other times this has happend before have been in torrential downpours. so im pretty positive whatever it is is caused by water?

At first i thought it had something to do with the engine/intake-exhaust however when i open my window to listen if i can hear it better outside while driving i cannot, and when i parked in the garage and gave her some gas to see if i could hear the rumbling in the quiet of the garage i heard nothing.

so since i only heard it while driving it leads me to believe i has to be something with the tranny/axle/tires.(?)

im assuming someone else has to have encountered something similar. (seems like most people have with the 'nox).

any info would help. only info i could find was possibly water into the manifold?
  2. jay2dc

jay2dc New Member

Took it to my trusty GM place today. Stated it was a malfunctioning EGR valve and a leaking pipe.

fair enough. i bought it. came back home and checked out some info online.

Turns out the 'leaky' pipe is COMPLETELY cracked and corroded in half!

crazy. cracked in half due to corrosion. gunna cost round 300 for the parts to replace. may do it myself and save me some money. if its not done the car wont pass inspection, and
  3. 05-burb_td

05-burb_td New Member

Does this only occur when in heavy rain? Mine (05) does the same thing.
    What pipe is cracked and is this a safety hazard (exhaust leakage into the car)?
    What was your final result. Were you able to fix it yourself or did you let the shop do it?
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How many miles are on it? Doesn't GM have to cover exhaust components for an extended period? My wife's 08 torrent makes some terrible noises when it is cold or raining. The dealer has replaced motor mounts twice and a trans mount. The noise goes away for a few months and then returns. We take it in, they put new mounts on and all is good. (until it is out of warranty and my issue :gasp: )
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011