1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Running boards

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by BluBurb89, Apr 19, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. BluBurb89

BluBurb89 New Member 100 Posts

Hello,
    When I got my '89 suburban it had most, if not all, options on it. The question is that it has a pair of fiberglass running boards that start at the front of the front wheel well and continue to the rear of the rear wheel well they also have an aluminium step from front door hinge to end of rear door. Each is a one piece unit approximately 24 inches shy of the length of the suburban.

I've looked at all the RPOs for that era that I could find and can't seem to find any information about them and the dealership that sold the rig originally has changed hands. I'd like to know if it was an exterior package for the Silverado option, a dealer installed aftermarket item or what.

I've taken them off, partly because the wheels look small ,width wise and out of place (15x10 235/75 R15) and when last painted the shop didn't remove them and the paint is coming off around the wells. Even though they are in what I feel to be remarkable shape; I want to refurbish and build new supports for them.
    I'd like to find a visually correct, functional wheel and tire combination to use with them but for now I'd appreciate any info regarding them.
  2. LoneWolf'burban

LoneWolf'burban New Member 100 Posts

I have an 84 3/4 ton 'burban with the same running boards. Where your suppourts made of 1'' angle iron? Well, 1'' wide if it was flattened. With black rubber tread strips running the length of the running board? And lucky for me, one of the previous owner put larger tires on with chrome steel flat spoke rims, and lowered it about 3 or 4 inches front and back so the wheel wells are full. But if I find any info in my paperwork I'll let you know.
  3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member 100 Posts

Those aren't a factory item. A lot of dealerships will add little things like that to make the truck more appealing to the short. :D
  4. BluBurb89

LoneWolf'burban,
    Thanks for the assistance. Mine have step plate to protect the fiberglass and skateboard non slip material centered the length of the plate. The 2 mounts per side were 1.5 inch pipe strap, very flimsy but held for all this time. I'm in the process of fabricating new mounts using the frame and body, plus adding an extra per side. I found these to fill-up the wells: Black Rock Series 909 Type D Alloy Wheels 15x10 w/4" backspacing. not going to lower it because I pull a trailer sometimes. Will post pics in a couple of days.
    Ted
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  5. BluBurb89

You are so wrong,, but funny!!!
  6. BluBurb89

Chris,
    I appreciate your comment but have you any idea where the source for them was in that time period.
    Ted
  7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member 100 Posts

Impossible to say. Most places just got that stuff from whatever local parts house they could get the best deal from.
  8. LoneWolf'burban

I'm not short. I'm actually a lil vertically enlightened. I'm 6'1'' in my combat boots. And my truck is lowered. I don't even need the steps but it looks really good with them on.
  9. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member 100 Posts

Is it a anaheim conversion?
  10. LoneWolf'burban