running rich

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by alw, Mar 14, 2011.

1. alw

alw New Member

i have a 98 blazer and i just replaced the plugs and wires because it was running rich. its spitting out white smoke that smells like pure gas. Also when i get to about 1500 rpm it stalls out. what could this be?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds alot like your fuel pressure regulator or the spider injector assembly is completely shot. And if you have the CEL lit you will need to pull the codes since those will tell you alot as well.

3. alw

alw New Member

Ok thank you now i already tried replacing the fuel pressure regulator and i turned out to be a damaged part because it was leeking out of the bottom and into mya into my cylinders causing vapor lock. so i put the old one back in and it doesn't leek at all. now when i was clearing the gas out of the cylinders i turned it over and it actually caught fire. do you think i could have damaged the engine temp sensor? because before i did all this my truck ran fine it just had a slight sputter and a hard time starting with out tapping the gas. any other suggestions?

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm sure it is possible that you damaged the ECT sensor. It shouldn't take long to check: pull codes (an ECT bad enough to cause it to run that rich would likely trigger some trouble codes), then hook up a scanner to it and see if the ECT reading looks reasonable. If memory serves, a "broken" ECT will read a very cold temperature (-50).

Another thing I'd probably do is put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if you are getting normal fuel pressure. Check if the fuel system can hold pressure (if it can't hold pressure, it might suggest an injector is stuck open).

5. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

try replacing your pcv valve..