1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Running very rich

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by ShadowRejects, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

hey guys, my 94 is running really rich., I think it is, i may be wrong, but here are the 'symptons'
    -sounds like a v8 powered leaf blower
    -smells like gas in the air when i park it and get out
    -runs very cool in all seasons, the engine never peaks over 125 degrees, even going 60+mph
    -its kind of a gas guzzler, even with no lift, but thats usually normal

is there any way to make it run less rich? im a n00b when it comes to diagnosing this issue. but im mainly trying to get rid of the gas smell when i get out of it.
  2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Check the thermostat.. that it has a 195 degree... If engine is not getting to running temp ecm still adding fuel for warm up.
    Temp sensor not giving right signal ..to ecm Do you have a cel . maybe 02 sensor.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If your never getting to operating temperature, then the vehicle is staying in open loop which as stated before will continue to feed gas even if not needed.
  4. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I've been running mine with my scanner connected lately, to try and learn it's "baseline" for future, anyway I've been noticing that it doesn't change from open loop to closed loop till about 140 Deg F.
    So Shadow if you arent' getting up to that temp at a minimum you will run rich.
    Like the others have said, check your thermostat and temp sensor.

When you turn the truck off after a long run, if you open the hood and check the radiator hoses, are they hot and firm as if under pressure? If not would be a indication of a stuck open thermostat.
  5. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the replies all. It has always ran this cool, me and my dad were driving a few months ago when the thermostat crapped out on us and the engine was running around 300 degrees. We replaced the thermostat with a race thermostat that is real time temp display, still never peaks over 120. One thing i havent checked is the temp sensor, which i will do tommorow and let yall know. Thanks again for the help!