Rust Fix

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Silverado Junkie, May 23, 2010.

1. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Alright, I need some help on fixn some rust on my dads truck. Hes got an extended cab '99 Silverado and has the usual rust on the extended cab part of the cab towards the bottom. Its just rust on the outside and its not bad enough to rust threw and make holes in the cab. But i was wonderin what you all would do to fix it? Thanks.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

A patch panel, which is the best bet... Otherwise you have people who fiberglass, and or bondo, neither do i reccomend.. A patch panel can be welded in and if you havent rock guarded the bottom of the truck then that would be a way to go to make everything look right. Also that will help to prevent future rust.

And since i just read that it isnt thru (i thought you said it was) then you could sand it down and as mentioned do the rock guard around the bottom of the truck, to keep everything looking symetrical.. That is usually what we do here in MN if the rust isnt thru, and or a patch panel if it is. I have to do patch panels on my 88..

3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Alright, I think ill use the patch panel mothod since we're getn it painted anyway. It'll look and hold up the best. Thanks for the help.