1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rust on frame???

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 08bowtie, Aug 1, 2009.

1. 08bowtie

08bowtie Rockstar 100 Posts

So is rust on the frame and other parts under the truck normal after only a year and a half????:grrrrrr:

Just want to be sure this is normal.....like where the extra holes are pre drilled in the frame etc.
  2. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

no actually it's not normal. you should have had some kind of protective coating on the undercarriage to prevent that, it'll all eventually have rust on it but on a brand new truck you shouldn't have it for a while yet.
  3. 08bowtie

yeah I have the black under coating on there but where the holes are it is rusty :grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr:, maybe I should take it to the stealer and see what they say :rofl:
  4. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Take it in, it should have been undercoated from factory and as new as it is there's no way it should be rusting by now.
  5. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Little more info on the climate its in do they salt the roads? that forms surface rust right away but regardless the surface has been effected and i dont think your gunna stop this monster by covering it after the fact
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i know this has been brought up before on newer vehicles, you will have to go back to the dealership. Document this very well as they will start the run around with you, also GM has always had a different warranty for the rust on the vehicle, its actually better then the bumer to bumper warranty. i had a 94 sunbird that got rust on the seem under the door and in the doglegs, the car had over 80,000 miles when this appeared and the warranty covered it. And i know my brothers 01 sily has the warranty along with my 99 burban. if you have a really good body shop in your area take it to them for a free inspection, the can also help to push GM to get it corrected, not to mention we live in MN and body shops see this alot soe they have more experieance in dealing with warranty issues
  7. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

maybe they didnt get some of that undercoating in the holes.

take it in, its worth a try.
  8. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

its probably just surface rust and not rot..you have time to take care of this... i have it too but i live in CT where they do salt the roads ... even when they say they use "magic salt"... magic salt my A$$
  9. 08bowtie

:lol:Yeah I will take it in when I get time but the salt here is horrible too and the truck came from Wisconsin where they use it just as much as Minnesota I am sure, if not more....:grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr: and maybe the clown that owned it before I did never went to the car wash in the winter:shocked::shocked::slap: any way......I will have to look into what they have to say:rofl:

Will let you know when I get time to get in......
  10. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

it is majic salt... it majically makes your vehicle rust to pieces years before it should. lol

yeah the rust on the truck in question her is probably just surface rust and can be sanded, sealed and coated properly this time with no return of the rust again in the near future, they all rust but it's sad that this one has in just a year and a half.

my 99 tahoe only has very very light surface rust and it's over 10 years old. now my 89 has rust on it too but it's all light surface rust. granted I live in TN but on the rare occasion it snows here they salt the roads here too, I just always run to the car wash for a heavy detailed under carriage cleaning immedately after everything is dried and off of the roads again.
    I just wish GM would finally learn how to paint a vehicle so that the paint would stay on for more than 10 years.