Rust on frame???

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 08bowtie, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

it happens... i have a little bit of surface rust on my 08 silverado frame... i reallly should get it taken care of...

2. akpride49

akpride49 New Member

rust spots

I have an 07 late body style silverado and i live up in alaska where they salt the roads and the climate isnt very fogiving to the truck and i have the underbody coating and i also have rust in the holes. perfectly normal

3. rmagni

rmagni Rockstar

I have an 08 and noticed that the rail under the bed where the frame and bed meet is rusted, like the machine sprayed and did not fully coat the rail, rather than mess with the dealer I am going to sand all the rust off and put a rust encapsulating coating over it and then 3m undercoat it. If I go to the dealer I get excuses, I dont like excuses, so I will save using them except for the big stuff.

Robert

4. 08bowtie

08bowtie Rockstar 100 Posts

How much is that going to cost :great:

5. rmagni

rmagni Rockstar

This is what I use. From the Eastwood company good stuff.
    Robert

Rust Encapsulator

Item #ENCAPSULATOR
    Only $ 22.99

Stop rust in its tracks!
    • It's easy to use. Just remove any loose rust and wax, oil or grease. Then brush it on (if you prefer, thin with lacquer thinner and spray)
    • It seals and stops rust from spreading. Use over or under body fillers
    • Rust Encapsulator is a great primer for floor pans and other under-body parts. It fills tiny pin-holes and surface irregularities, and is compatible with lacquer, enamel and urethane top coats (including Eastwood Chassis Black)
    • For the absolute ultimate rust remedy, first brush or spray on Eastwood Rust Converter, then prime with Rust Encapsulator
    • Available in black, red, silver and gray
    As Seen On My Classic Car TV Show

Be the first to review this product
    Select Size *Choose option...16 Ounce AerosolQuartGallonCase of 12 AerosolsCase of 12 Quarts

6. kendonhank

kendonhank New Member

GM Frame Corrosion

Hi GM corrosion victims,

I am currently suing GM for extensive corrosion to the undercarriage of my 2005 Silverado. Suit goes to court next month. The truck started rusting badly after about a year and the entire undercarriage is corroded.

I spent months with the dealerships and southeast regional GM decison makers. They claimed they do not cover corrosion caused by the environment, including moisture and salt in the air. It is bogus and I will win in court. You should hear some of the double talk I got in the legal depositions.

I may try to organize a class action against them after I win my suit. Contact me of you are interested.

Note that GM added exclusions for road salt and sea air to its 2007 warranty, but the warranty is still bogus.

Note that GM considers undercoating to be unnecessary and in fact voids your corrosion warranty.

Kendonhank

7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if you live in a area where it snows, and they salt the road, their is hardly anything you/gm can do to keep the truck from rusting, its not their falt, you shouldn't be suing gm, you should be suing your state for covering the roads in salt, thus causing rust. personally, i think any manufacture would do the same thing for that same problem

8. Henchman

Henchman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Semper Fi Marine! You know, I noticed the same thing on my 07. Have you taken a look at the motor lately. I've seen a lot of rust in the motor compartment. I thought about getting under the trund with some CLP and a wire brush and busting rust!

9. kendonhank

kendonhank New Member

GM undercarriage corrosion

I live in coastal FL and the truck has never been on salted roads. It started to rust significantly after a year. GM says it's because of the salt air, but I owned a minivan during the same period and it was parked right next to and used the same way as the truck. It had no corrosion.

Bottom line is, if the factory properly coats and protects the metals, they will resist corrosion for years.
    Corrosion cannot occur unless water, oxygen and salt reach the bare metal.

No vehicle should have substantial corrosion on the undercarriage after a year. I am from the Northeast, and I have seen trucks that are 15 years old that have been driven on salt roads, never garaged or washed, and used to plow roads in the winter, and they have very little corrosion.

I have friends in FL that back their trucks into salt water to launch boats and have no corrosion.

Of course the manufacturers will deny warranty coverage and blame it on salt, when really it is a coating failure. They know that the average person cannot afford to hold them accountable.

After I win my lawsuit, you will see a flood of similar claims.

10. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i still dont think you will win, you shouldn't really worry about it as long as its not deep in the metal, and your supposed to have the frame re coated at the dealer after so many miles any ways. my frame has no rust on it, and it doesn't rain or snow here, you still have rain to deal with