rust spots

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 09rado, Jun 3, 2010.

1. 09rado

09rado New Member

Yesterday while I was washing my truck I noticed several tiny rust spots on my truck. You can not notice them unless you really look. At first I thought they were dirt but it is def rust bleeding through the paint. I have not even had this truck a year. I just don't want it to get worse. Would this be something covered under the warranty? I'm just really upset that the truck doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it and is rusting. Anyone else have this issue?

2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm guessing you have a fairly new light colored truck. The rust spots you're seeing can be cleaned off with a clay bar, its not rust coming through the paint but rather small pieces of metal embedded in the surface that are rusting. The metal is usually from metallic brake pads or rail dust from the truck being shipped on a train, or even if you park near railroad tracks you'll get it. Almost every vehicle has this issue, but unless its a light color most people never notice it.

3. 09rado

09rado New Member

Yes truck is light grey. I will try harder to get them off.

4. stewy

stewy New Member

i have a 2009 white chevy silverado and had the same problem last year. dealer thought it was rail dust and took care if it. they are back again after winter and now they will not take care as it takes 4-5 hours to do treatment. they say it is break pad dust. so why does this not happen to other brand of vehicles?? should GM cover this issue if so many vehicles have it? i took pics of a GMC and another silverado in Walmart lot that have the same issues. not happy as I take good care of my truck.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome stewy, most likely its from air pollution. It shows up more on light colored trucks, its on darker trucks you just can't see it as much. You can get it off yourself by "ClayBarring" your truck. This pulls the contaminates out of the paint. Afer you clarbar you want to polish and wax truck. If you go to Meguaires.com they have videos on how to claybar. Its not hard, just time consuming.