Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

RV Stabilizer Jacks

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Crawdaddy, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

OK, so I've been thinking about the air system I'm going to put on the truck. Once I get it installed, I'm going to start carrying an impact wrench with me. Then I thought "damn, I'm still gonna have to carry a jack". Then it dawned on me, I can put RV stabilizer jacks under the truck strapped to the frame rails to pick up the corners so I can change a tire. My whole question is, any good online sources where I could pick up 4 jacks? I searched ebay and didn't find anything that would work or I had in mind. I think this would be an awesome idea...

2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Its only funny til they come down when your driving...On the other hand you'd get some big air!

3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not sure if RV jacks would do what you want. Not real familiar with them, but I have been toying with the idea of a hydraulic jack set up like you are talking about for my Fiero.

I have a real hard time getting in and especially out of the thing. It’s so low to the ground, with my back problems I have a tough time getting in and out, 6 herniated discs.

With the hydraulically operated system it can be operated by a key fob like you have to unlock your car. Problem I have run into is I need 2 way cylinders that cost big bucks. Over $100 a corner, plus the pump and controllers. The pump isn’t a problem, that I have found. A friend who has a shop removed an electrically operated one he is willing to give me.

Now all I have to do is find 4 cylinders and figure out how to install them.

4. Crawdaddy

As far as I know, each jack has its own little hydraulic pump. Either that, or it's worm drive or something of the sort. They are pretty reliable for a few years, but they do wear out after a while and sometimes they will not go all the way up when you go to retract them... Still that would be really cool...

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Take a look at F1 or CART cars, they use a system that lifts all four wheels when an air hose is plugged in. I believe its a air operated hydraulic system, not sure I've never looked at them close. You could modify something like this to work.
    One problem I could see on a fourwheel drive is if your off road and stuck you better hope where the jack has to come down is a suitable place.

6. Crawdaddy

when I say I won't carry a jack, I don't really mean it. In the grand scheme of things, I will probably start carrying a small floor jack with me, and if I go off-roading, a high lift jack. Just like even though I'll have an impact wrench with me, I'm still gonna have the old trusty factory wrench and a 4-way. Neato systems like this can fail and I'd rather carry a backup at the cost of a few pounds. I'm just looking for the cool and unique factor, and to make life easier if the time arises that I need to use it.