Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

S-10 check engine codes

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by RATRODKING, Sep 12, 2010.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

guys,
    i went to autozone and bought me a cheap scanner for my 2003 S-10 Extreme 4.3v-6 truck.

it had 3 codes.
    P0128 coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp
    P0442 EVAP emission control system leak (small)
    P0442 PENDING

a few weeks ago i took the truck to autozone and they said it had the coolant temp code and they erased it. so it has come back, along with the other 2 codes.
    they suggested i change out the coolant temp sensor and the thermostat. looks like i will have to do that soon.

but what would the second code be, P0442-EVAP emission control system leak (small) ?
    could that be a faulty gas cap ? what else could cause that code ?

and what does the pending code mean, P0442-pending ?

thanks for the help guys... these computer cars drive me crazy..

2. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

Evap is either the gas cap loose or a worn gas cap gasket. If you have a carbon canister it could be plugged but the gas cap is usually the reason. If it is clicking tight, check the gasket. They loose flexibility over time and don't hold a vacuum tripping a code. I had to replace the cap on our '99 Grand Am for this reason.

The temp sensor tells your computer when the engine has warmed up. If it thinks the engine is still cold, it keeps the fuel mix rich messing your mileage and adding to carbon buildup...

3. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

thanks for that explanation..